Do I Have Any Options if I Don't Have the Money to Pay For Surgery?

I don't have insurance, and I am in need of a major redution. My breast are size H, and I can't. Afford to get the reduction. I weigh 190 lbs, and I am 5'3". 8 do have a job, but they don't offer insurance. I am a single mother, and we are on our own. I am in so much pain, I need help.

Don't Have Funds for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question.  Your options would be looking to see if you are eligible for Medicaid.  Also, lower fee surgeries could be offered from a teaching institution and/or a surgeon who is new in practice and trying to build up his patient base.

Breast reduction without insurance or resources to pay for it

+1

You have received good advice from my colleagues and you should be pursuing any benefits you may be eligible and qualify for such as Medicaid.  This would allow you to pursue this with minimal financial risk to your family.  If you do not qualify, I would suggest new doctors who may be more flexible in their fees to help themselves establish a patient base or residency programs if you live in a larger community.  In the meantime, you should also do your best to lose what weight you can through simple lifestyle changes as it can only benefit you. 

Curtis Wong, MD

You've gotten some good advice, but be careful

+1

Pursuing the low cost alternatives of Medicaid or Medical School services are your best choices.

However, be careful that you might be held personally liable for any expenses that may occur if you suffer any complications.  This is definitely a question to ask if you are having the procedure performed at a training institution.

Having said that, breast reduction surgery is one of the most gratifying surgeries to perform and has one of the highest patient satisfactions.

Good luck!!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction without money

+1
I recommend that you research whether you are eligible for Medicaid or a government subsidized plan which is income based. If you qualify, this may cover the procedure in full. Teaching hospitals offer reduced rate surgery. In NY, this is by no means free, unfortunately.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Options For Breast Reduction Costs

+1

Dear Jenkristern04,

My best recommendation is to contact your nearest medical school that has a plastic surgical training program.  Many of these training programs have clinics that offer low cost surgery for procedures such as breast reductions.  You must realize that the procedure will be performed by the residents in the program who are in training to become fully certified plastic surgeons.  All plastic surgeons in training are very grateful for the opportunity to care for these patients.  These residents will be supervised throughout the surgery by their attending surgeons who are fully trained plastic surgeons. 

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Some states cover the breast reduction surgery through Medicaid. You might look into that. Also give the Plastic Surgery Department at you nearest Medical School a call and see if they have any programs that could help you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD