Is There a Need to Delay Facelift if Recently Did Fillers?

I just had a Sculptra treatment 3 weeks ago. While at my appointment, my cosmetic dermatologist suggested that I may benefit from a facelift. I am wondering if I should wait to have a facelift. I would hate to see my getting "artificially" plumped up with filler limit me from getting the optimal tightening results from a facelift. Is it a good idea to wait after a Scultpra treatment to get a facelift until the results of Scultpra dissipate over the 1-2 year period?

Sculptra and Facelift

+1

If you are going for a facelift after Sculptra make sure that the surgeon is aware of where it was injected.

Facelift and Fillers (Sculptra, Jeuvederm, Restylane, Radiesse) are Complementary

+1

Facelift and fillers are synergistic so as long as you wait until the Sculptra injection site is soft you should do fine.
Not a problem and there is no problem with the timing for a facelift. Sculptra and other fillers address volume issues associated with aging and face lifting addresses the sagging loose skin - so both are synergistic and complementary

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Should I wait to have a facelift if I just had Sculptra treatment?

+1

Great question. Sculptra stimulates collagen production in a given area. In general, Sculptra can be used to complement the results of a facelift. The Sculptra is designed to volumize, and the facelift is primarily focused on improving the appearance of sagging skin. You do not have to wait for the Sculptra to wear off before you were to have a facelift. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Sculptra and Facelifts

+1

Sculptra® and other fillers can help postpone facelifts for a while, not because they remove skin and reposition deeper tissues, as facelifts do, but because they plump up the extra skin that comes with age and/or weight loss. How satisfied are you with your face right now?  If you are happy with the Sculptra for now, hold off on a facelift.  If you really want more improvement now, schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you for surgery. If you decide to proceed, I would wait 3 to 6 months following the Sculptra procedure to have a facelift. I can tell you that doing a facelift through Sculptra is more difficult for the surgeon. It reminds me of doing a facelift on an individual who has severe acne scars, but it can be done effectively. The total volume of Sculptra used is generally small, so I don’t think you have to worry that your facelift will fall after the Sculptra dissipates.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after Sculptra

+1

I often perform facelifts in patients  who,have previously had injectable fillers.  there is no conflict between the two as far interfering with surgery.You can have the surgery whenever you desire.  You definitely do not need to wait a year or more.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Sculptra and facelift

+1

Thank you for an excellent question. Facelifts and sculptra are treating different issues that occur as our face ages. As we age, our face both deflates and sags. While these aspects are a bit inter-realted, they are treated by different methods. The sag that develops as we age is best treated with a facelift. This allows the tissues to be elevated into their original position and tightened in a natural fashion. The deflation that occurs is best treated with volume replacement, in the form of sculptra or fat grafts. Since both of these happen simultaneously, facelifts and volume replacement are often used together.

In your case, it is impossible to determine your exact needs without an exam. However, you do not need to wait until the sculptra resorbs before having a facelift. I would suggest waiting until its active growth phase is completed, which would be 6 weeks after injection. At that time, you should be able to have a facelift.

I would suggest discussing this further with your plastic surgeon. They can better assess your specific needs and determine what can be done to give you the best and most natural results.

Best of luck with your face.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after Sculptra- depends on injection sites

+1

I would answer your query this way: it depends on where the Sculptra was injected. With facelift surgery the skin of the lateral face and the neck areas are undermined, which might interfere with the stimulatory effects of Sculptra if it was injected in these areas for the purpose of dermal thickening. On the other hand, if the Sculptra was injected for volumizing in the temples, midface, or perioral areas, then there would be no interference, as these areas are not in the surgical field. I have performed this combination many times and consider the procedures to be complimentary. Hope this is useful to you.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and Facelifts complement each other

+1

The techniques of face lifting and providing fullness with fillers actually work together and complement each other.  If you truly need a face lift, chances are you will not be completely happy with fillers.  Many times, after a face lift, you will need to use fillers to get the final look of youth you are seeking.

Your best option is to discuss these issues with a surgeon who can can address all of these issues, like a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Face lift vs fillers

+1

Dear Rebekah,

It would have been easier to give you an opinion , if you would have submitted your pictures. In any event, fillers are usully suitable for early signs of aging while face lift is for more advanced aging. If your dermatologist suggested to you a face lift, to me it means that he does not believe that he will be able to deliver your goal. Fillers, are not a contra indication for a face lift. On my website you can see an older lady who had multiple injection of scalptra by another doctor . Her face lift was done few monthe after her last injection. If you decide on a face lift, consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr Widder            

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon