Is There Any Clients You Should Not Recommend Any Type of Peel To?

i recently asked about using glycolic on clients with diabetes, we are taught in school that we should not recomend glycolic to diabetes, lactic to people who are lactose intolerant and salycilic to those who are allergic to acetominophen. i understand glycolic, but what peels do you not want to recomend to what skin types?

Variables for Chemical Peels

+1

Thank you for your question. There are many variables to take into account when recommending in face peels. These include the skin type, the condition being treated, allergies and medical history, the goals, risk factors, previous therapies and their results, risk profile, expectations, anticipated compliance, resources to have repeated procedures if required,  and urgency of the outcome, just being a few considerations.  If a client does not fit the candidacy, then the therapy may not be for them. I always suggest seeking a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for safest and best results. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Peels based on underlying health problems

+1

I do not believe that glycolic peels should be avoided in diabetics, nor lactic acid peels avoided in those who are lactose intolerant. The main issue is the issue of treating darker skin types where glycolic acid and salicylic acid peels are probably your safest option. Allergy to salicylic acid might be a theoretical concern with those with an aspirin allergy, though I don't think this has ever been reported in the medical literature.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon