Is There a Way to Only Change the Width of the Nose? Mine is Very Wide. (photo)

I like the overall shape of my nose, but the bones (bridge?) of my nose is wide. I'd like for it to be more narrow but I'm terrified of having to break the bone. Is there a way to narrow my nose without making a drastic change to my entire nose?

Changing the width of the nose

+1

It is possible to narrow the nose, but osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) would be necessary. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Narrowing the Nose

+1

The nose can be narrowed in precise fashion.  If you want the bony width reduced, I would recommend reducing the width of the tip as well.  Without this, the tip will appear larger with the more narrow bony width.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Narrowing wide nasal bones

+1

It is quite straightforward to narrow wide nasal bones like you have. I know that it sounds very scary, but it is a very controlled technique where small cuts (osteotomies) are made in the bones to allow the bones to be narrowed somewhat.

You can learn more about narrowing wide nasal bones at my web reference link below. If you think it'd help, you can also check out the attached video that shows how we do these osteotomies.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Narrowing the nasal width can give great results

+1

Your nose can be narrowed by techniques that try to narrow the width of your nose or techniques that make your nose look smaller.  Cutting the bones associated with the nose can narrow the nose.  Sometimes techniques that make your nose look narrower are more appropriate, they may have less swelling involved.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing the Width of your Nose

+1

The bridge of your nose can be narrowed by repositioning the nasal bones, which is frequently done as part of the rhinoplasty operation. Don't be afraid of this maneuver as long as this is done by an experienced specialist. Consider refinement of your tip so your entire nose is proportional.

Nasal bone width

+1

Unfortunately the only way to narrow the bones is to perform cuts in them called osteotomies. An illusion of thinning the nose can be done by building up the dorsum in patients with flat noses.

Narrowing the wide nasal bones

+1

Narrowing the nose bones requires gentle and precise cuts in the nose bones that allow the bones to be mobilized and brought inward. It's no possible to move the bones without making these cuts. Bones cuts are referred to by surgeons as Osteotomies and these can be performed through the nose or through a small  stab incision in the skin. After narrowing the nose bones the tip may need to be narrowed slightly to balance the look of the nose but it depends on the patients goals.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide nasal bones

+1

The only way to narrow wide nasal bones is with osteotomies.  This involves breaking the nasal bones.  It's also important to adjust the tip to the new  narrower nasal bones. To see patients similar to yours with wide nasal bones please see  the link below

What is required to narrow the nose? Do the nasal bones need to be broken?

+1

The term "breaking" the nose as part of a rhinoplasty procedure is overstatement of that part of the procedure. The bones are actually "cut" with a very sharp tool that creates precise perforations or cuts in the nasal bones. It is not at all violent in nature. As Dr. Pearlman mentioned, the only downside is black eyes for a week to ten days. The upside is that this is the only way to effectively narrow the nasal bridge in most patients. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Breaking the nose" in rhinoplasty is very safe and yields great results

+1

I'm not sure why the public is so worried about "breaking" their nose. The technical term is osteotomies. This is done to narrow the nasal bony pyramid. This is very safe and the results are quite predictable and usually extremely aesthetically pleasing. You will be asleep for surgery so you won't know it's happening. The only downside is that you will have black and blue eyes for up to 2 weeks, which is little tradeoff for having a more slender nose for the rest of your life.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD