Is There a Way to Use Botox for Forehead Wrinkles, but Not Impact Eyebrows?

I have deep horizontal forehead lines (I'm 44). I tried Botox twice. Both times it worked for my forehead lines, but the first time it lowered my brows so that I looked angry; the second time it raised them so I looked like Nicole Kidman. Help! Is there anyway to treat the forehead without impacting the brows?

Botox for Forehead Wrinkles and Not the Eyebrows

+1

Yes it is most certainly possible to use Botox for forehead wrinkles and not impact the eyebrows. This all depends on the practitioner’s ability to pinpoint very specific injection sites in order to accomplish this. The decision to raise the eyebrows is really the patient’s choice, as opposed to being a treatment that is all inclusive along with the forehead.

Additionally, proper technique also requires the ability to determine the right dosage to use. Excess Botox, for example can migrate to other areas.

A board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon would have this level of knowledge when it comes to facial anatomy.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox - Forehead and frown with brow balancing.

+1

An isolated treatment of horizontal forehead lines will always change the shape of the eyebrows. In order to maintain the natural shape of the eyebrows, a combined treatment of forehead and glabellar region is essential. A little balancing of the eyebrow arch may also be required.

From what you describe, your first Botox seems like the dose went overboard which froze the forehead and dropped the brow. The second time probably required just a little balancing of the brow arch which could have been done with 1-2 units on each side.

Request your treating physician to be conservative with the dose, as additional dose can always be given in the follow up session after 2 weeks. Request to be provided with a photographic record of injection points and units placed for future reference.

Keep looking beautiful.

Niketa Sonavane, MD, MBBS
India Dermatologist

Consistency of botox

+1

The right balance of treating the forehead lines in someone in their mid forties can be difficult as there is a tendency for the forehead to be used constantly to help pull up the sagging forehead and eyebrows.  If Botox knocks out this function of the forehead muscles, then the horizontal skin lines improve, but the forehead can't hold itself up.  Treating the glabellar region between the eyebrows is important to help lift up the forehead and compensate for this.  Despite keeping accurate records as to the placement of botox from visit to visit, there may be a different result such as you discussed.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Yes, I have used Botox for well over 22 years and the injections must not go within 1 finger width of the eyebrows in order to not have it impact eyebrow position thereby lower the upper eyelids.  Eyebrow position and upper eyelid fullness are directly related.

Botox for Forehead

+1

Yes, Botox treatment can be customized to each patient.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.  The three main areas of Botox treatment are the forehead, between the eyebrows and the lateral eye's (crow's feet).  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD