Botox Cream That Works on Wrinkles?

I rather not get botox injections.  is there a botox cream that will work just as well?

No creams mimic Botox at present

+2

There are no creams at present that minic Botox or Dysport and get the same results, I hear there are some creams in the making but not as of this post date to my knowledge

Clermont Plastic Surgeon

Botox cream is currently being studied

+2

While there is no topical Botox product available at this time, it is currently being studied.

Many medications can be delivered through the skin, but the trick is to get them to actually penetrate and work below the skin. This is the difficult part, and the reason most topically applied versions of injectable medications don't achieve the same results (think topically applied hyaluronic acid... it doesn't really help wrinkles).

Topical Botox is showing promise, at least according to our colleagues who are studying it. But it's not yet approved, and may not be for years. For now, injections are your best bet.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Revance working on Botox cream

+2

If you notice creams such as Strivectin place a question mark after Better Than Botox? This probably is not the result of moral qualms over being rather loose with the truth, but more to do with threats from the FTC and the Allergan company. They compelled them to add the question mark to their marketing ploy.

Also, to quell enthusiasm about a topical Botox, is the fact that it takes injection into the pertinent muscles causing the contractions. Wouldn't applying a Botox cream affect a few muscles and cause general sagging. You would need a special applicator, who wants flabby hands like some weird cartoon character?

There is a lot of talk about neuropeptides, especially argereline working in a Botox like manner. This may be true in the test tube. However, there are not enough clinical trials to convince me that it is a superior anti-aging ingredient, never mind being better than Botox. I feel that creams containing argereline may help, but do not fall for all the marketing fluff that surrounds it.

If neuropeptides are going to work, they will do so around the eyes where the skin is thin and more easily penetrable. It is asking to much for a cream to penetrate through the epidermis, dermis, subcutaneous fat, fascia and into the muscle. Around the eyes possibly, other areas of the skin ya gotta show me. That is why most of these studies concentrate on peri-orbital skin.

Last year a couple of scientists from the University of Massachusetts announced that through the magic of nanotechnology they had discovered a way to allow Botox to penetrate through the skin. Their results sound promising and hopefully they are onto something really great.

Revance is a small biotech company concentrating on dermatology out of Northern California. They use a proprietory technology they call Trans MTS. This is a means to pull large macromolecules such as Botox through the skin. Their research in this field in regards to Botulinum has been so promising that Medicis, the makers of Dysport, has partnered with Revance. The name of their product is RT001, evidently standing for Revance Therapeutics 001.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

There is Botox cream on the way

+2

Currently there is not a Botox cream. There are ongoing studies with good results, so far, that are testing Botox cream. However, it will not be coming out anytime soon. If you have not had Botox before and you are worried about the needles, there are numbing creams that we can use to help the procedure be more comfortable.

David Shafer, MD

Topical formulations of Botox are not available yet

+1

but are being studied and may very well be on its way.  The problem is that the active ingredient, Botox, must be able to penetrate from the skin surface down to the muscle for any cosmetic benefit.  Potentially this may be viable for treatment of Crow's feet around the eyes since periorcular skin is thinner and the underlying muscle is more superficial.  I'm looking forward to seeing the study results.     

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

There is no Botox Cream

+1

Once again, the old mantra must be restated, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".  There is no cream which approximates what Botox cosmetic (injectable) does, and there is no cream with Botox in it.  Marketing in the world of cosmetic surgical/ injectable treatments is filled with half truths, sensationalism, and hype.  Do your research!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no cream substitute

+1

While many topical creams may advertise and claim to give results similar to Botox, this is just not possible. There are no substitute creams that weaken the muscle like Botox.  Botox is a quick, almost pain free series of injections that temporarily stop muscle movements so that you can not make wrinkles.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Botox not in a cream

+1

Their is no topical cream version of Botox, and no cream can begin to reproduce the great results with Botox. Botox is a quick, safe, and relatively painless procedure. You will be surprised how simple the treatment is, and how little discomfort you feel.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Alternatives to Botox and Dysport

+1

I am unaware of any topical creams or solutions that will do the same thing as Botox and Dysport. In fact, I would be very skeptical of any clinic or company offering any topically applied medication that claims to do so. Botox and Dysport are the only FDA approved products on the market that can chemically halt muscle movement for the treatment of unwanted wrinkles and lines.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox cream...not

+1

I am unaware of any Botox cream that is presently on the market that is FDA approved. I would be very wary of products or advertisements that try to sell you such products.

Good Luck

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon