Are There Any Botox Alternatives?

I am wondering if there is any thing that has a similar result to botox

Botox Alternatives?

+1

Thank you for your question. There are other neuromodulators such as Dysport and Xeomin that are available and FDA approved. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Yes, Myobloc, Xeomin, and Dysport are alternatives.

+1

I would truly only consider Dysport as a cosmetic alternative. We don't have enough data and experience with Xeomin to comment about its effectiveness.   

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Botox alternatives

+1

At present, there are 3 main botulinum toxins on the market: Botox, Dysport and Xeomin. There have been trials with topical botulinum toxin, but its not clear when such a product will reach the market. As for what's currently on the market, a few products have claimed they're as good or similar to Botox, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. For wrinkle due to movement ("dynamic wrinkles"), injectable botulinum toxin like Botox is still the #1 choice. For wrinkles due to volume loss or where there is hollowing, a filler is the preferred treatment. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and other neuromodulators

+1

Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin, are all currently used as neurotoxins to help temporarily improve facial wrinkles. Each has the same effect on musculature and have subtle differences in their efficacy and longevity.

Sam Naficy, MD

Dysport & Xeomin Are Excellent Substitutes For Botox For Treating Dynamic (Movement Related) Wrinkles

+1

There are currently three neuromodulators available for use in the United States:Botox, Dysport, and most recently Xeomin. At least two others are soon to follow in the next couple of years. I have extensive experience with all three agents and, in general, when reconstituted appropriately, they all seem to achieve about the same results. For that reason, I have established a kind of protocol for when to use each.

Botox is the main workhouse for dealing with all kinds of wrinkles on the upper face, lower face, neck and decollete. I have been using it since 1991, eleven years prior to its official FDA-approval for aesthetic purposes with very gratifying results. Throughout that time, however, from time to time, I encounter individuals who had at first responded well to treatment, but who, after two or more prior treatments, demonstrated either no response, weaker response or shorter duration of response.

The medical literature estimates the development of antibodies in the range of 3%-13%. However, it seems that  even among those with proven antibody formation few actually demonstrate any significant loss of responsivity to further treatments. This of course does not rule out that some may indeed do so and this fits my own experience in twenty-one years of injecting Botox for dynamic wrinkles.

An increased chance for promoting antibody formation may also be related to the routine practice of bringing patients back after just two weeks to touch up any areas that may not have completely responded to treatment. For this reason, it is currently deemed wiser to bring patients back no sooner than a month following treatment for touch ups.

When there exists no other obvious explanation for loss of response or shortening of duration of response (such as changes in dosing or concentration, etc.), and antibody formation is suspected, a trial of Xeomin, another bolulinum neuromodulator would be reasonable.

Xeomin is essentially a naked  Botox, stripped of the proteins that come attached to Botox that are believed responsible for triggering the development of antibodies. I have found Xeomin to helpful among the few patients I have had recently  in whom I have suspected antibody-related resistance, In such instances I have seen full responsivity restored.

Although Dysport, the third approved botulinum neuromodulator available in the U.S. market, does contain additional proteins, I have nonetheless also found this product to be useful as an alternative in patients who appear to have grown resistant after several successful prior treatments. There is also some suggestion that this product may spread out within its surroundings a bit more than its competitors, making it a good choice when treating larger areas, such as the forehead and neck, to reduce the number of injection sites.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox alternatives: fillers or other neuromodulators

+1

Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport all work the same way, by relaxing hyperactive muscles. For wrinkles due to muscle activity such as the "11" between the eyebrows, nothing works as well. Some wrinkles can be improved with dermal fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm. In general, Botox and other neuromodulators are used in the upper face, fillers in the middle/lower face, with some exceptions.

Richard Baxter, MD

Are There Any Botox Alternatives?

+1

There are two other similar injectable medications that create similar results. With regard to topical treatments or other methods to achieve the Botox effect, we don't have any effective alternatives at the present time. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are There Any Botox Alternatives?

+1

Yes, Dysport and Xeomin are other forms of medical grade botulism toxin.  There are other non-toxic methods being looked at to decrease the appearance of forehead lines and wrinkles.

Are There Any Botox Alternatives

+1

Botox Cosmetic by far is the biggest product on the market for treating glabella lines (and forehead and crow's feet). In the U.S. there is also Dysport and Xeomin. They are all similar products, though I much prefer Botox and Dysport to Xeomin for lasting effects. If you are looking for something like Botox that is NOT a neurotoxin, then depending on the area or problem, fillers or laser resurfacing may be an option.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Alternatives for Botox: Dysport and Xeomin

+1

Yes, there are two products on the market called Dysport and Xeomin. Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin help reduce the appearance of wrinkles by relaxing overactive muscles that cause fine lines and creases.

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon