Is There Any Way to Avoid a Squarish Looking Breast Shape when Having a Breast Lift?

I've been looking at before and after photos of breast lifts and I have noticed that quite a few of them have a boxy shape on the underside of the breast as opposed to a more round look. Would breast implants help round out the boxiness?

Boxy Shape After Breast Lift

+2

Obviously the skill of the surgeon and the pre-existing breast shape will influence the appearance of the breast after a breast lift but the technique that is used will also be very important.  I agree with other comments that an inverted-T technique is more prone to creating this shape as there is often more skin removal in a vertical dimension and less in a horizontal dimension.  Breast implants may help somewhat but are not a substitute for good surgical technique and aesthetic judgement.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

The boxy breast lift

+2

We have not come across the term 'boxy' in quite some time, you might be a professional. The boxy breast was used to refer to the result, often early, of a WISE or "T" pattern breast reduction. The breast appeared flattened across the bottom with a relative shortened distance nipple to fold, kind of squared off at the bottom. This too can happen after a "T" pattern breast lift. We seldom need a full T for lift as the verticle pattern is a nice option and leaves the lower fullness or rounder look.

Breast shape depends on your pre-existing breasts and your surgeon's skill

+1

I am not sure what before and after pictures you have looked at, but the end result of a breast lift is determined by your pre-existing breast shape and what your surgeon does when he performs the lift.

We perform what is known as a vertical sling breast lift which completely reshapes the breast and gives you a nice and perky shape.  That tends to also create a nice round bottom.

Ultimately, if you do not like a surgeon's before and after, don't go there.  It's like when you are looking for an artist and you don't like his previous work, don't commission him/her to create a painting for you if you are asking for something other than what he/she normally does.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Boxiness or round breasts

+1

I think this is an individualized situation. Boxier breasts may occur with heavier patients that have a lot of fatty tissue lateral to the breast. It can also happen with tight skin envelopes with reduction, to name a few causes.