Is there an average cc loss when capsules are removed over the muscle? To stay the same size how many extra cc would I need?

CAPSULE

+2

I have weighed the capsule following removal. The weight depends on the size of the implant capsule and ranges from 20-30 grams. The weight varies from how much extra tissue is removed besides the capsule and implant size.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

There is not much volume in breast capsules

+2
Your question will be difficult to answer without a formal consultation and examination. Often times when breast implant capsules are removed for capsular contracture issues, the pocket will expand and enlarge. In these cases, a larger implant is required to fill the extra space so that the breast does not appear loose or saggy. I recommend discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will have the benefit of an exam to determine your best options for revision breast augmentation. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Dr. Kayser

+1

To be honest, not really. It's kind of like unwrapping a Christmas present: removing the thin paper really doesn't change the size of the package! In some circumstances, especially with the very early silicone gel implants, the viscosity of the material easily leaked beyond the shell and was usually contained by the body's own scar tissue or capsule; in these cases, the capsule would become calcified and thicken it but even then, only minimally when compared to the total volume of the implant. However, removing the capsule, will create a new breast pocket, which may allow more expansion, and therefore, a sense that the pocket has changed. Hoped this helped. Good luck. Dr. Kayser

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Capsule

+1

To best help you a physical examination is greatly required to give you and exact answer. The weight has to be determined by the size of the implant.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Capsules

+1

the amount of volume lost with a capsule tony can vary tremendously based in the skill of the surgeon and the nature of the capsule as some may be as thin as wet tissue paper and others like dry wall. Removal of the capsule will expand the available space for the implant so after your breasts may sit lower and be appear less full.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Average cc loss from capsule 30cc's, thanks Dr. Koch!

+1

First of all thanks to Dr. Koch for doing something a lot of us thought about, but only he did!

To that I would add that if you need a small lift there is also a small volume loss which for me also averages about 25-35 cc.

If you are replacing with an implant go for something at least 50 cc's bigger to account for the loss of volume from capsule and lift.

To see an example of a breast implant exchange from over muscle to under muscle, see link below.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Capsular Contracture and Implants

+1

Capsulectomy, or removal of the capsule around the implant, can soften the breast and reposition the implant. When performed by an experienced surgeon, the volume loss is negligible. You do not need to upsize to account for a change.

Cheers ,

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD