Is There an Art to Ultherapy? Does Is Matter Who Administers The Treatment?

I'm getting full-face & neck ultherapy next month. I have 3 possible doctor's offices I am considering, all within $3500-4000 in price. All are VERY reputable surgeons, but in 2 offices, the nurse performs procedure and in one, the doctor does. I've read there's an "Art" to performing ultherapy, and it DOES MATTER who performs the treatment. If this is true, then why and how does the "Art" and Technique matter? And how does technique determine results? How do I pick the right one?

Update: Photo removed

Ultherapy Treatment Provider

Technique is important. Not one face, neck or chest is the same. With that said we need to treat each patient to their own specific needs and cater to their specific anatomy. Whether the treatment provider is a medical aesthetician, nurse or physician they will need to have skill and knowledge to provide the utmost care.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

It does matter who performs Ultherapy - Williamsville, NY

In regards to the experience of the provider, the answer is a resounding yes ! It does matter who performs the procedure because the provider makes an assessment prior to the procedure what types of treatment lines to use, standard only or standard plus custom vectors of treatment to achieve the desired goals for the patient.

You are paying for experience and don't fixate on the price. 

Here are some things you need to know about Ultherapy:

. It is an FDA cleared technology that uses high intensity focused ultrasound energy
. It is unique in that the system uses B mode US imaging during energy delivery, making it a focused treatment, unlike RF or other technologies.
. Maximal benefit from Ultherapy reaches at approximately 6 months.

Read the Ultherapy ebook provided on the link below. It is free access and located in the ebook section of the website.

An Experienced Ultherapist will Customize your Treatment

Ultherapy does require detailed training and expertise. It does not have to be an MD and in many practices the MD does not perform the procedure, and therefore has less hands-on experience with the machine. Once a technician has been performing these procedures for some time, they will learn and be educated on more advanced techniques and skills. In our office, our NP and two PA’s perform the procedure. They have undergone extensive advanced trainings. Each patient who receives Ultherapy has different anatomy, varying laxity, and individual needs. We customize each treatment per patient. An experienced Ultherapist will look at the ultrasound image of your skin in each area, and decide which transducer will be most effective to target the appropriate layers and get you’re the best result!

Grant Stevens, MD

Many nurses, estheticians, and doctors are well trained enough to provide you with good results

Technique does matter, however many nurses, estheticians, and doctors are well trained enough to provide you with good results. I would not base my decision on price. Instead pick the office that you feel most comfortable with. Also discuss with them your expectations, and how they can be addressed. Be sure that you have a realistic perspective going into treatment.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who should perform Ultherapy

This is a good question.  The treatment can be performed by a nurse, aesthetician, or medical assistant.  They need to have a understanding of the technology, skill with delivering the pulses and the more experience the better.  Every office is different.  You can ask the office who is doing the treatment and how long they have been doing it.Sometimes they are better at doing it that the doctor because of the volume and repetition. 

Miguel Delgado, MD

Yes it matters

A successful cosmetic treatment, such as Ultherapy, requires a detailed technical knowledge, understanding of anatomy and skin physiology, and most of all adequate experience and training.  There are many technical and medical "maneuvers" that an experienced physican and/or practitioner will do in a course of any cosmetic treatment such as Ultherapy that will likely to enhance the ultimate clinical and cosmetic outcome, and more importantly, decrease incidence of adverse events.

Chang Son, MD
Fort Lee Dermatologist

Ultherapy perfomred by a doctor

Ulthera is a foucsed ultrasound energy that is delivered in intense bursts to different areas of the face to induce tightening. The company has suggested two protocols already and the technique continues to evolve based on new treatments perfomred by physicians.  A physician understands the anatomy of the musculature and connective tissue of the face and knows what tissues to treat in order to see a lift in the desired direction.  In addition the physician has a healthy respect for the high risk areas to avoid so that there is less chance of nerve injury.

Patients aged faces are like snow flakes...there are no two alike and physicians can modify treatments tailoring them to the specific patient in front of them. One patient may need more treatment for the jowl and others may need more for the upper eyelids. I like to do the treatment myself on faces because I want the control of altering the treatment for my patients best result.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera needs a certified operater with experience for best results.

Ulthera is becoming a very efficient means of non-surgical facial skin tightening, but should be performed by an experienced certified operator. Fortunately, most medical estheticians and nurses can be trained by the company and the doctor to use the equipment skillfully and correctly, with noticeably good results without any complications. In my office, my trained staff are obtaining results probably with less time and more ease than I would because of their experience treating our patients while the surgeon is operating and taking care of post op patients. After speaking with some treated patients from each office, consider returning to the location which  has experienced, certified operators, and makes you feel the most comfortable. You should be pleased with your results.

Maurice P. Sherman, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right doctor and the right treatment

All of plastic surgery is an art form and you should ask to see photos of real patients in each office and ask to speak to some.  Don't rely on the comapny photos to decide, insist on real patients from that doctor/nurse.

Not to throw a wrench into your plans, but your photos show nice tight skin so what will Ulthera be doing for you?  On the other hand, you do appear to have some dyschromia (pigment spots) that might be better treated with an IPL laser than with Ulthera.  Also, an upper bleph might be considered as this is the most simple way to put your toe in the water of facial rejuvenation and is hard to beat in making you look younger, more refreshed and rested.  Without seeing you in person, this is obviously not a consulattion but just some independent thoughts.