Is There a Way Around the Required 50 Units of Botox?

I typically get 20 units for my forehead and it is plenty, lasting almost 4 months. I'm now being told that I must get (or at least pay for) 50 units of Botox. Is this for real? I don't want to use it anywhere else on my face.

Dosing of Botox

+1

You should pay for Botox by the unit and a good injector will use the minimal amount to get the best result.  No more and no less.  There is no reason to set a 50 unit minimum.   I almost never inject more than 30 to 35 units per session.  

Botox and dosing

+1

Every face has a slightly different requirement when it comes to cosmetic Botox injections. If you're visiting a reputable provider, you shouldn't be forced to buy 50 Units of Botox. With some quick research, you can find several providers in your area who are legitimate and won't insist on the same treatment cost for everyone.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is there a way around the required 50 units of Botox?

+1

In general, 16-20 units is adequate for the forehead. The amount of Botox required for each patient depends on the following:

1) Areas that the patient would like treated
2) Severity of wrinkles in the area

If too much Botox is injected in a given area, it can lead to undesirable side effects such as:

1) A frozen or expressionless appearance
2) Ptosis, or drooping of the eyelid/brow

If your provider requires a pre-purchase of a certain amount, that is their individual policy. But be sure that you do not have too much injected in one specific area. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Quantity and Pricing

+1

The pricing structure is specific to whatever clinic or doctor you are going to. There is no set number of units of Botox, as many people use even less than 20 units for one treatment. If the clinic won’t budge and allow you to pay only for the product you use, I suggest looking elsewhere for treatment. Always make sure your injector is an experienced, board certified physician.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Using an entire bottle of Botox is 50 units, if you need an entire bottle is a controversial topic

+1

Technically, Botox is labeled as a "single use" vial. This has to do with the way it was approved for use by the FDA during the clinical trials. Most physicians use it "off label" by using one bottle for more than one patient. If done with new syringes each time and a sterile technique, no deleterious effects have ever been demonstrated or published. By using the vial for a second patient, no harm is being done and you are trusting that your doctor is using proper patient safety precautions.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Botox and Units around Forehead

+1
I have been injecting Botox for many years and there is no "fixed" amount of Botox that I use in any given patient.  Botox is an art and a science.  Some patients want to be completely without movement and others would like a more "natural" look with movement.  Also, some patients have a high forehead or a larger face/forehead.  There is a lot of individual treatments which are predicated by how the patient herself or himself wants to look.  Please find an experienced Botox injector in your area.

Michele S. Green, MD

Required 50 Units of Botox ?

+1

If you have had good result with 20 Units of Botox in your forehead, there is no reason to inject more units in that area and the effect will not last longer. I would recommend that you ask your doctor the reason for "required 50 Units". If you do not get a reasonable answer, then check with another doctor.

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Dose of botox

+1

The doseage needed may vary from patient to patient - but there is no "required" amount.  A large muscular forehead needs more units than a smaller one with rhytids that are not as deep.  This may be an attempt by the practitioner to avoid not using the entire bottle of botox as it is usually most effective if used in 24-48 hours after the botox is reconstituted.  Worth discussing with your injecting physician.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Required to pay for 50 units of Botox

+1

If you have always had the exact same area of your forehead treated with 20 units of Botox and obtained a good result, I would stick with that dose.  If you are adding other areas, such as the frown lines or crow's feet, you will most likely need more than 20 units.  If your injector is requiring you to pay for 50 units and only using 20, I would seek out a different physician to treat you. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Much Botox for Forehead?

+1

Hi Andimax.  Often the confusion lies in the question "what is the forehead?"  Many patients say they want their forehead treated and what they really want is the glabella (the area between the eyes - vertical frown lines).  This is typically 20 units.  

Other patients will say they want the forehead and they do want the forehead (area above brows - horizontal lines).  This is typically somewhere between 15-20 units.

And finally some patients actually mean both areas when they say forehead.  In this case, the most we typically use for both areas is 40 units.  

50 units is not outside the realm of possibility, but I am guessing that there are more areas being treated this time around than before.  Confirm with the injector.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD