Is there an alternative to palatal expansion surgery in adults?

I am 29 years old. I have a posterior crossbite on the left side of my mouth. I also have crowding in the front (both upper and lower jaw) with top right incisor pushed out of alignment. I have all my teeth including wisdom teeth. The ortho suggested I have the expansion surgery with the possibility of first premolars still needing to be removed. Is surgery the only option to correct the crossbite and misaligned incisor?

+2

You can leave the crossbite untreated and only correct anterior crowding since your crowded front teeth are probably your main concern. The other option might be to use a NiTi palatal expander appliance that slowly pushes and tips your teeth instead of splitting a midpalatine suture.

Buffalo Cosmetic Dentist

Alternative to palatal expander in an adult

+1

Yes there is an alternative to palatal expansion in adults-  Damon braces, if utilized correctly, can develop the upper jaw of an adult and avoid the use of surgically assisted rapid palatal expansion in adults.   I would get a consult from a certified Damon braces provider which can be found at Damonbraces.com. I hope that helps!

Scott Vincent, DMD, MS
Sandy Orthodontist