Are There Any Absolute Reasons Not to Use Stitches After Cellulaze or is It Just a Matter of Preference for the Doctor?

No stitches necessary

+2

There are no stiches used for Cellulaze, draining may occur from the incision site for up to two days post procedure.

Stitches for Cellulaze incisions

+2

It is completely a matter of personal preference for the surgeon performing Cellulaze if they opt to use stitches or not.  We do use stitches. The incisions are quite small and heal well.  Even with stitches, drainage continues after the procedure.  We perform vigorous massage in the treated areas to help eliminate as much fluid as possible prior to placing sutures in the incision sites but patients continue to drain quite a bit (which is completely normal and expected), especially in the first 12 hours following the procedure.  Hope that helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Are Stitches Needed After Cellulaze?

+2

Dear anon,

The openings made to perform Cellulaze (ie. laser cellulite reduction) are very small (generally about 2 mm), so they generally heal well with or without stitches.

There are potential advantages and disadvantages to both methods. In the end, the issue is a minor one and largely a matter of preference.

More importantly, I would recommend finding an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to address your cosmetic concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Are There Any Absolute Reasons Not to Use Stitches After Cellulaze or is It Just a Matter of Preference for the Doctor? by ano

+2

Great question! For me I chose to close ALL incisions with 1 dissolvable suture each area. Just my preferences. As for a medical reason there is none. I was trained to close any "cut" i make. 

Incisions from Cellulaze

+2

The incisions are generally 2 mm each.   Generally, your plastic surgeon will likely leave some or all of them open to facilitate drainage.  However, it is fine to also close the non dependent incisions.  Really, since the incisions are so tiny, in my opinion, it does not make any difference.  Hope this helps

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Stitches for Cellulaze procedure

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.  Normally these incisions are so small, a stitch is not necessary.  On the lower incisions, you want to have a pathway for drainage.  Previous experience had shown that if there wasn't an incision at the lower point or it was closed had a tendecy to cause a fluid collection, which could require drainage. I hope this helps and best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD.

Robert Kratschmer, MD