Safe Liposuction for Lipodema?

I am a 59 year old female with severe type4 Lipodema.. I have had this condition from the age of 12 but it progressed very quickly from age 30. Does anyone know it there is a type of safe liposuction that could remove fat from my legs especially from the ankles as the fat is now drooping down so far it is hanging over my ankle bones. Any information would be much appreciated. I live in Melbourne Australia. thank you.

Liposuction on legs

+2

liposuction on legs and ankles can create a prolonged healing period with a greater chance of complications. Operating within an area of lymphedema can further increase the risk of infection and scarring and poor healing. See a board-certified plastic surgeon in person for a consultation.

Lipo of ankles

+1

the answer is yes it can be.It sounds as if this is more for function than cosmetic.This could easily be done as an outpatient.The question is will there be a lot of excessive skin after the lipo.Wearing some type of compression garment would lessen this likelihood.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of ankles

+1

Liposuction, traditional tumescent, SlimLipo,SmartLipo,Vaser ultrasonic, can remove this fat from the ankles or anywhere else on your body. It may not cause the skin to shrink back as much as you would want and you may need some skin removal. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lymphedema dn liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not a treatment for lymphedema. You are better to go to a lymphedema specialist to seek treatment through compression and then eventual possible surgical excision.

Lymphedema

+1

Liposuction is for removing fat.  Lymphedema is another situation completely, and liposuction, especially in the lower extremity, and especially, in the ankle area would be very risky, and not likely to improve long standing lymphedema.

Sorry.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD