What is the worst part of Rhinoplasty/ Septoplasty regarding pain?

I am getting rhino-septoplasty done in a few months and trying to prepare for the worst :( I'm mostly worried about the IV going in my hand and the stitches being removed after the surgery? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty Pain

+1
Although every patient is different, rhinoplasty/septoplasty surgery is general more uncomfortable than painful. I actually broke my nose playing rugby in medical school and had it repaired as a resident. The most uncomfortable part of the recovery for me was the first two days when I had a little pack in each nostril. This was mostly due to a dry mouth as you could not breathe through your nose. Once it was removed, it really started feeling better pretty quickly, although it was a little sore to touch for the first 2 weeks.
Most of my patients after surgery look back and say that it was much easier than they had anticipated.

Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain following surgery?

+1
In general, pain following surgery is minimal. Pain medication is prescribed by your surgeon for any discomfort you may experience. I would recommend communicating any specific concerns to your surgeon prior to the procedure, as he/she will know the details of the surgery and advise accordingly. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1
Most people experience minimal to moderate discomfort for the first few days following rhinoplasty. It has been my experience that osteotomies to narrow or straighten the nose can slightly increase the level of pain that people experience compared to those patients that only require tip surgery. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty pain

+1
It is unusual to have any significant discomfort following rhinoplasty surgery.  Make sure to follow all of your surgeons instructions carefully both before and after the surgery.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
In general, most patients experience little, to no pain following this surgery when post op instructions are followed.  There are usually no sutures to remove after surgery using the closed approach. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is highly experienced in Rhinoplasty surgery to discuss your goals. Alert anesthesia of your fear of IV's.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD