Are the visible veins on my legs varicose veins? Will they get worse? How can I make them disappear? (Photo)

I'm only 15 and I have visible veins on my legs. My mom have varicose veins do you think I have inherited it or something. Or are the veins on my legs normal? Does daily running make it worse? Is it bad to run without compression stockings? Can I make this go away without surgery? If so how? PS I only have them on my left leg.

Small Varicose Veins or Reticular Veins in a 15 year old

+1
You can get this treated if your parents consent with sclerotherapy. These are reticular veins or very smal varicose veins and you can look at the classification on the link below. You can also read a book on the link below which explains things you can do to prevent more from forming. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Dilated reticular veins can worsen over time.

+1

These are reticular veins and can dilate over time if you have inherited a genetic tendency.  Long term compression is the hallmark of prevention

To be sure you don't have a more serious venous condition going on or a clot, see two or more board certified and experienced vascular surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Enlarged reticular veins

+1
This type of veins is called "reticular veins". They do look abnormal: when they stretch, not only they become wider, which is hard to judge, but also they become longer, which is easy to see, since they are not straight anymore, but rather twisted. It is a sequence of genetic predisposition. A correct way to approach this is following. First, you need to be evaluated to identify the underlying venous condition responsible for formation of this particular vein. Second, based on the above, you will have several options of dealing with these veins, none of which involves surgery, but some might be done through a needle. Running does not affect its development, even if you feel burning or tingling in this particular spot after physical exertion or during periods. There is no benefit in wearing compression stockings in your situation at all. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Lev Khitin, MD, FACS
New York General Surgeon

Reticular Vein.

+1
What your picture shows is a blue vein which is called a reticular vein.  It is neither a varicose nor a spider vein and the most common cause of this is hereditary.  These veins are normal in many people. Varicose veins and, often times, spider veins are due to underlying malfunctioning (refluxing) valves in the saphenous system of veins. This does not appear to be your case from the picture presented.The pounding from running can jar the valves and, ultimately, cause them to malfunction but this will take a long time.  Wearing support hose when running may decrease the trauma to the valves but there is no data to support this. If you want to get rid of this vein you should consider localized  sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon