I've Had the First Treatment with Sculptra and my Laugh Lines Have Actually Deepened. What to Do?

10 days ago I had my first Sculptra treatment...I was advised that I was an excellent candidate and since I wanted the subtle slow improvement I would love this. 5 days after my laugh lines have actually become more pronounced...make me look older now for sure. I'm just sick...my doctor said he had never had this happen...I need suggestions. Help please.... R Kelly Birmingham,Al

Sculptra

+1

You most likely are experiencing swelling at this point as it is too early for the effects of Sculptra to be apparent.  Give it a few weeks for the swelling to taper and follow-up with your physician.

Effects of Sculptra gradual over weeks

+1

It's unlikely that 10 days after a treatment the Sculptra has caused a significant change in volume.  The transient swelling from the injection may be the reason your smile lines looks more pronounced right now.  Give it a few weeks to settle down and then reassess it with your physician at that point.    

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra and Laugh Lines

+1

Sculptra fills volume, but only where it's put. It could be that the new volume you have (in the relatively short time you've had Sculptra), has made the laugh lines more obvious. You could absolutely fill these with a substance like Juvederm or Restylane, but I'd recommend waiting until you see the full effects of the Sculptra first. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Sculptra Helps Build Volume, Doesn't Fill Lines

+1

Be patient.  Sculptra stimulates your body to rebuild collagen, which takes months.  One treatment is definitely not enough though to correct laugh lines.  2-3 vials is almost always needed to see improvement. The best thing to do is to wait at least 3-6 months to see the full effect of the one treatment you've had. If you don't want to wait that long, you could use a more rapidly effective filler in the area like Juvederm, Restylane or Radiesse. Sculptra is not a line filler.  

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

Slow and Steady

+1

Sculptra is an excellent option for facial volumizing.  It is important to be patient and allow for natural subtle results which can take up to 4-6 weeks.  Final results are typically seen over a series of treatments over several months.   Swelling is typical and will go down in time.  If you continue to be concerned, seek 2nd opinion for reassurance.

Richard W. Maack, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra takes 6 weeks to show results

+1

The doubled edged sword of Sculptra is that it takes 6 weeks to show full result. This gradual improvement is attractive to some patients, but it requires patience. Right after injection, the swelling associated with injecting multiple vials of fluid into the skin can be mistaken for the volumizing effect of Sculptra. Since the swelling largely resolves within one week as the fluid is absorbed, many patients mistakenly think they look worse once the swelling is gone. Careful review of before photos, however, can be very important in reminding both the patient and the physician of baseline wrinkles/volume status. Sculptra is a great product that yield reliable results, and it is my hope that your current disappointment will be gone in a month.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra usually takes up to 6 weeks for improvement

+1

If the treatment area was the nasolabial fold (laugh lines) and not to the surrounding lower cheek area, you may just need to give it more time.  Sculptra usually takes up to 6 weeks for improvement.  Give your body time to react and build collagen. You may also consider the use of another type of filler, such as Perlane or Juvederm Ultra, to correct the nasolabial fold.  With the hyaluronic acid fillers, the correction is "immediate" and most patients are very pleased with the results. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laugh lines more prominent at ten days after Sculptra treatment

+1

It is not uncommon to experience moderate swelling for a period of two to three weeks in the regions injected with Sculptra.  This swelling accounts for the more pronounced smile lines that you are noticing.  Relax and allow enough time for the swelling to dissipate. Good luck.  

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra results

+1

In order to get good results with Sculptra, several treatment sessions normally need to be done.  Typically, after just one treatment, I would not expect there to be a significant change.  In your case, you feel that your laugh lines have gotten worse after the procedure.  Since it is only 10 days after the injection, I would do nothing but wait.  It is possible that the area looks worse just from the swelling involved with the injection.  I would also say that no matter what it looks like now, it definitely will still change, following the normal course of the treatment.  I would wait at least 4-6 weeks from the time you had the first treatment to evaluate the true results.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon