What's the Best Treatment to Minimize Scarring After Getting Mole Removed with Stiches?

Hello! Im thinking on getting my mole removed and it's about 1 cm in diameter. I already went to see a dermetologist but he only resurfaced it last year because it was bumpy. Couple month ago I noticed it was becoming bumpy.I just want to remove it and I don't mind a scar but I really want to know a best treatment to minimize the scar and the best product that really works. I heard silicone gel and melerma works but somehow still unsure. Please I would like to know what other doctors recommend.

Mole Removal Best Method: Excision and Laser Removal

+1

Excision and Laser Removal is the best way to get rid of moles. You just need to know the positive and negatives of each type. For me when the moles are small, less than 4mm I lean towards laser removal. When they are bigger than 4mm I lean towards excision. But I explain all risks and benefits.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal and scarring. Trying to reduce visible scars

+1

Mole removal can leave small scars but a treatment with Melaquin for hyperpigmentation followed by a short Fractional CO2 laser treatment can minimize scarring and improve results. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best ways to minimize scarring

+1

If for any reason a shave excision does not heal as well as expected, or if the mole regrows as yours has, it can always be excised and sutured in the future. Please ignore advice such as that below from plastic surgeons suggesting you see a plastic surgeon. Look for a physician who is very experienced in cosmetic surgery and with whom you are comfortable. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician, not their specialty, is the most critical part to your achieving a nice result. After your surgery, RejuvaSil Scar Gel is a nice, silicone-based gel that can be used to minimize scarring.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How To Minimize Scarring For Excision OF A Facial Lesion

+1

The most important issue is not what product you apply following surgery but that you select a physician that will perform a good operation, which should help ensure a good start to the healing process. You need to select a physician who has experience with facial surgery; it may be easier to find plastic surgeon with these qualifications than a dermatologist.

Silicone gel sheeting, Neocutis BioSerum, BioCorneum, and HybriSil may be topical options to minimize scarring. Scar massage can reduce swelling and aid in softening more quickly. Sun protection is crucial to prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Follow your doctor’s directions to optimize your outcome.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

How to Minimize Scarring Following Mole Removal on Face

+1

I think the best way to minimize scarring following surgery to remove a mole is to choose a physician that performs a great deal of surgeries on the face. This could be a dermatologist who has completed a fellowship in Mohs micrographic surgery and whose practice consists primarily of skin cancer surgery and reconstruction. It could also be a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon so long as their practice includes a great deal of facial skin surgery and repair.

After the surgery is performed follow the directions given to you by the doctor. Most doctors would advise to clean the wound twice daily, apply an antibiotic ointment and non-stick bandage.

After the sutures come out each doctor might have their own preference. Most would acknowledge that silicone based products work well to soften or fine tune scars. We use a product called BioCorneum that is a gel consisting of silicone and sunscreen.This product is available in some dermatologists and plastic surgeons' offices and seems to work well for our patients. Other doctors might prefer Mederma or Aloe or Vitamin E. Best option is to pick your best option for your surgeon and follow their advice. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD