What Would Be the Best Treatment for Varicose Veins?

I have varicose veins since 15 (I'm 18 now) and my legs have been only getting worse even if i started exercising and eating well. My legs have greenish patterns ,specially on my thighs and near the feet, some veins are bigger some are smaller, but what treatment would be better for longer term? I heard sclerotherapy that it is not permanent and they might come back, what about vein stripping, would I have later problems with the deep veins instead?

Vein Treatment

+2

You need a full assessment with your vascular surgeon, and then have a plan on treatment with the recommended device.  Sclerotherapy can be appropriate or the endovenous therapy which goes in the vein and closes it down.  Many options, but first an assessment by a vascular surgeon.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Options

+2

It all depends on the size of the veins nd location. The firther from the heart the less wll thay may do. Small veins less than 2mm wil doe well with laser or maybe even better with Asclera injections. Larger veins need to be stripped but, this leave visible scars. Not a good choice at your age

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Varicose Vein Treatments

+2

Unfortunately, veins will not be positively or negatively affected by good eating, exercising, etc. Some people are just more susceptible to them than others. Sclerotherapy works well but it is for small spider and reticular veins only. The injected veins are then absorbed by the body, as they are not necessary for blood flow. These injected veins are permanently destroyed, but you can continue to develop new veins over the years, which is why further treatments may be necessary. For varicose veins (those that are large and sometimes puffy) a different procedure is required. Do not do vein stripping. It is extremely painful and can leave scarring and other problems. I would suggest you see a physician who performs the EVLT procedure, which is extremely effective for varicose veins.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Venous evaluation with reflux venous ultrasound.

+1

Varicose veins occurring at an early age are most commonly due to hereditary factors and also could be due to trauma.  I have seen both a football and soccer injury produce varicose veins in young teenagers. If you have many veins it would be prudent to obtain a venous reflux ultrasound to evaluate your venous system and especially to look for reflux(leaking valves) in the saphenous system. The reflux exam would determine the appropriate treatment.  Sclerotherapy would not be indicated if you have significant refluxing valves. The best long term treatment would be endovenous closure of the refluxing valves (if present).

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Screening for varicose vein problems in the legs

+1

A vein surgeon (phlebologist) can help determine whether your problem is related to cosmetic reticular veins or venous insufficiency.  I would begin with a comprehensive vein mapping and ultrasound of the legs, if possible. Check with the American Board of Phlebology to find a doctor specialist. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS