What's the best treatment for a trauma- cracked tooth? Has a vertical crack up the side into the gums.

Facial trauma fractured and cracked front tooth. X ray showed it didn't have a root issue but there is a crack that goes among the front and up the inside middle as pictured. Have pain off and on and am currently "watching and waiting" with the dentist. Is the crack up the middle that disappears into the gums a sure sign that it will be lost? What are the options? How long should I wait, especially if there is sensitivity or pain? Worried since it's a front tooth!

+2

If it was just a matter of part of the tooth cracked or chipped, then a porcelain veneer or bonding usually does the trick. However, in your case to maximally protect the tooth against more fracture and potentially losing the tooth, a full crown is generally the best way to go.

I would strongly suggest you be evaluated by an endodontist (root canal specialist), as they are dealing with CTS (cracked tooth syndrome) all the time.

If the crack goes much under the gums, or below the bone that surrounds the root of the tooth, than you will probably have to have the tooth removed.

I recommend doing all you can to save the tooth, as if you lose it you will end up needing either an implant or dental bridge. Of course, those are both good treatments, but you would want to avoid ever needing either of those if possible.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

What's the best treatment for a trauma- cracked tooth? Has a vertical crack up the side into the gums

+2

If the crack doesn't extend too far under the gum (up to 1.5mm) then the tooth can be restored. If there is no nerve involvement.

Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

The best treatment for a cracked tooth due to trauma.

+1

First of all, I'm sorry about what happened. But don't worry, we live in a wonderful time where almost anything can be fixed.

Since you're experiencing pain the best option here would be to have a root canal, post and metal free crown.

With the right specialist your crown will match perfectly the shade of your other teeth.

Good luck and take care!

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist