What is the Best Treatment for a Soft Tissue Lump Under Eye After Blepharoplasty?

U & L bleph – Healed quickly - stiches out in 1 week. Suddenly, 3 weeks after surgery, a soft tissue lump formed under 1 eye. I saw the doctor, and he said it looks like my body is overcorrecting healing, so it’s pooling tissue and blood vessels in the area. He suggested massage and wait it out. He said he can inject it to dissolve the tissue if it doesn’t resolve on its own. So far it hasn’t resolved, and I am concerned about the injection as a treatment. Going to see my doc again next week.

Healing after eyelid surgery

It's common to get little areas of activity or fibrosis or focal swelling after any surgery, and the limited soft tissue coverage around the eyes makes bumps here well known.  So your situation is not alarming, and most likely will resolve with just time.  Massage is valuable, as well as the knowledge that your doc has a solution if nothing is improving by the third month.  Sounds like you are well covered, and your doc remains invested in you too.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

3205 Glacier Ridge Road
Middleton, WI 53562

Lump under eye after blepharoplasty

I would recommend following the area closely.  After 3 weeks most significant swelling should be resolved but there can be a collection of fluid or blood remaining.  I would not recommend any type injections yet.  If the area does not correct with another month I  would return to your surgeon to have the area reevaluated. Hope this information helps you.

Bradford S. Patt, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

915 Gessner
Houston, TX 77024

Lump under eye after blepharoplasty

This early after surgery you can encounter lumps like you mentioned. It sounds like you're following this closely with your surgeon so I would follow his advice as he knows you best and has examined the area. Performing a dilute steroid injection to help with the problem may be indicated, but it would require an examination to find this out.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Lump after blepharoplasty.

I would not inject anything into the lid for several MONTHS and wait and it should resolve without any treatment.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Honestly, you still are under the care and supervision of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery and should follow his/her instructions.  

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Photos would be helpful

Your surgeons recommendations seem reasonable at this time. Massaging the area should help settle any scarring that is taking place. An injection of a steroid might also be indicated and seeing our surgeon next week is a good idea.

Jumping in too soon after surgery will only complicated and likely worsen things, so I would urge patience to allow your body to heal.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Lower blepharoplasty healing

Due to lack of pictures it is not possible to provide relevant recommendations or advice. Scar contraction or small pocket of fluid in the surgical field is part of normal healing process. You are still very fresh post-op and going through the healing process. At this point, conservative measures such as the ones your doctor has recommended are the standard approach. I would normally recommend conservative measures for at least the first 3 months post-operative and only then perform a surgical touch-up if there isn't a significant improvement.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

1000 Plain Street
Marshfield , Massachusetts 02050

Follow progression closely

Keep an eye on it to see how it progresses. Often, abnormalities resolve on their own so injections may not be necessary.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652