What is the Best Treatment for a Soft Tissue Lump Under Eye After Blepharoplasty?

U & L bleph – Healed quickly - stiches out in 1 week. Suddenly, 3 weeks after surgery, a soft tissue lump formed under 1 eye. I saw the doctor, and he said it looks like my body is overcorrecting healing, so it’s pooling tissue and blood vessels in the area. He suggested massage and wait it out. He said he can inject it to dissolve the tissue if it doesn’t resolve on its own. So far it hasn’t resolved, and I am concerned about the injection as a treatment. Going to see my doc again next week.

Lump under eye after blepharoplasty

+1

I would recommend following the area closely.  After 3 weeks most significant swelling should be resolved but there can be a collection of fluid or blood remaining.  I would not recommend any type injections yet.  If the area does not correct with another month I  would return to your surgeon to have the area reevaluated. Hope this information helps you.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump under eye after blepharoplasty

+1

This early after surgery you can encounter lumps like you mentioned. It sounds like you're following this closely with your surgeon so I would follow his advice as he knows you best and has examined the area. Performing a dilute steroid injection to help with the problem may be indicated, but it would require an examination to find this out.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/faial-plastic-surgery/blepharoplasty

Healing after eyelid surgery

+1

It's common to get little areas of activity or fibrosis or focal swelling after any surgery, and the limited soft tissue coverage around the eyes makes bumps here well known.  So your situation is not alarming, and most likely will resolve with just time.  Massage is valuable, as well as the knowledge that your doc has a solution if nothing is improving by the third month.  Sounds like you are well covered, and your doc remains invested in you too.

Web reference: http://robertsonplasticsurgery.com

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after blepharoplasty.

+1

I would not inject anything into the lid for several MONTHS and wait and it should resolve without any treatment.

+1

Honestly, you still are under the care and supervision of the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Eyelid Surgery and should follow his/her instructions.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Photos would be helpful

+1

Your surgeons recommendations seem reasonable at this time. Massaging the area should help settle any scarring that is taking place. An injection of a steroid might also be indicated and seeing our surgeon next week is a good idea.

Jumping in too soon after surgery will only complicated and likely worsen things, so I would urge patience to allow your body to heal.

Good luck

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty healing

+1

Due to lack of pictures it is not possible to provide relevant recommendations or advice. Scar contraction or small pocket of fluid in the surgical field is part of normal healing process. You are still very fresh post-op and going through the healing process. At this point, conservative measures such as the ones your doctor has recommended are the standard approach. I would normally recommend conservative measures for at least the first 3 months post-operative and only then perform a surgical touch-up if there isn't a significant improvement.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon