What is the Best Treatment for Ice Pick Acne Scars?

I have scars all over my face caused by acnes and through my observations, I think it's more to ice pick type. I'm still undergoing RF (Radiofrequency) treatment & Microdermabrasion as consulted by dermatologist & beautician Need your opinions through your experience & knowledge,just how effective these treatments in scar treatments.. And what should I expect from this treatments Thanks!

Effective treatment for ice pick scars

+1

An ice pick scar starts deep in the dermis and needs treatment that would reach that depth.  For multiple acne scars, I prefer fractional erbium resurfacing.  Depending on the extent of the scarring, it may require several treatments.

Individual scars can be treated with a combination of subcision and fillers or punch excisions, however, when there are many, a more global approach is needed.

Prior to fractional resurfacing, the best method to treat deep acne scars was with dermabrasion, which is still used now, but much less than previously.  The downtime and potential for scarring is greater with dermabrasion than fractional lasers.

Microdermabrasion is not at all effective for acne scarring because it is too superficial.

Radiofrequency can tighten skin and generate some new collagen formation, and can provide some improvement of acne scars. It has been reported that performing subcision prior to radiofrequency treatments offers more of an improvement in acne scars.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for Ice Pick Acne Scars

+1

Ice pick acne scars tend to be narrow and deep (by definition) and therefore superficial treatments like microdermabrasion and radiofrequency resurfacing tend to be disappointing. I have had good results improving ice pick scarring using more aggressive techniques such as punch grafting, simple excisions, subcision, and real dermabrasion (not micro).

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon