Whats the Best Treatment for Pigmented Liposuction Scars?

Hi, I've had liposuction 2 years ago.While I love the results, I'm dissatisfied with the two brown holes it has left. My skin color is a Middle Eastern like light olive color. The scars are not raised but you can clearly see the brown scars. I have been using a 4% hydroquinone cream for couple months, which helped only a tiny bit if anything at all.Whats the best treatment for scars like this? Lasers, dermabrasion,skin grafting,etc.? Does it matter if a dermatologist dermatologist does it or PS?

Hyperpigmented scars after liposuction

+1

Hyperpigmented  or dark scars are common in certain ethnic groups. It is best to take steps that prevent them from forming. In my practice every patients starts a scar control program after surgery to prevent the scars from darkening. Some patients who know they form dark scars can pre-treat before surgery. Once the scars become dark they are more dificult to treat. Hydroquinone containing products work, but slowly. Chemical peells and lasers may also be used depending on your skin type. Often patients try different treatment for at least 8 weeks before changing to another. It can be a long process.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Pigmented Scar

+1

If topical creams such as BioCornuem (a silicon based scar treatment) don't work the the scar needs to be excised and carefully closed by a plastic surgeon.

Scott Loessin, MD

Laser treatment for hyperpigmented scars

+1

Treatment with Q-switched alexandrite laser, starting at low energies, might be beneficial for pigmented scars.  I would suggest that you see a dermatologist with extensive experience with lasers. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyperpigmented scar

+1

If hydroquinone alone has not worked you may ask your dermatologist to recommend a pharmacy that can compound a retinoid with a hydroquinone and a topical steroid. This used to be available in this country. The FDA banned it since they do not like drugs made of several components.

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Pigmented scar

+1

Thanks for your question and I am happy you are pleased with your overall results.  I think hydroquinone is the best topical treatment.  Lasering could worsen the color.  You might have to discuss surgical scar revision vs accepting the coloration.  Please see your plastic surgeon I believe he/she would be better able to discuss these options.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Treatment for pigmented liposuction scars

+1

If hydroquinone alone is no correcting the problem you may have to add a retinoid in combination or try a compounded higher concentration hydroquinone or other bleaching cream. If this does not give desired results then I would use a laser (pulsed light) but would need to be very careful due to your skin color. I would make sure you go to an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist that has laser experience.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for liposuction scars

+1
Hydroquinone is a good starting point but photos would help. It needs to be used consistently for more than a few months to be beneficial. Skin grafting would produce an aesthetically unpleasing, more obvious outcome. Depending on the scars, steroid injections could be beneficial. I suggest that you return to your surgeon for folllowup and to explore your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Pigmented scars after liposuction

+1

Pigmented entry points scars may  occur for different reason.

1.Thermal trauma to the tissue

2.Mechanical trauma due to the movement of the Liposuction cannula

3. Your way of healing.

Hydroquinone will give you some improvement  but especial in the presence of scar hypertrophy its ability are limited.

Ask the doctor who performed the procedure for opinion.

If he is not a plastic surgeon get a plastic surgery consultation.

The way to treat the car depends on the characteristics of the scar. Sometimes combined treatments are needed. 

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon