What is the Best Treatment for my Wrinkles Under my Eye and my Dark Eye Circles? (photo)

Hi, I am aged 24 and have a under eye wrinkles. My eyes no longer look youthful i would like to prevent them from getting worse. I use a full sun block and teamine eye cream. Please can you advise what the best treatment is for my under eye wrinkles and how to prevent more wrinkles from forming? Also i have very dark eye circles and i can not tell if they are green or purple please advise. My eyes also look like they are slightly sunken too. what can i do treat this and the dark eye circles?

Improving the loose skin and dark circles under the eyes

+2

Topical products such as Skinmedica dermal repair for eyes can be of benefit.  This particular product has Boron in it and helps to reflect the light making the appearance of the dark circles less.  Also products such as this and Retin-A help to thicken the epidermis. Circles under the eyes appear dark because the skin is thin and there are many blood vessels and muscle directly under the skin.  Some patients will benefit from microablative CO2 laser treatment to tighten the skin and  soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm to fill in hollows.

Eyelid wrinkles

+2

There are very minimal signs of wrinkles at repose.  Upon smiling you develop slightly more wrinkling.   You are not a candidate for surgery(pinch technique) to tighten up the lower eyelid skin.  Consider a fractionated laser to this area or botox

Procedures to improve skin health and stimulate collagen

+2

Thank you for your question.  You are asking about the best treatment for eye dark circles and fine wrinkles under the eyes.  Since you are still young at 24, it's obvious that it isn't just about aging.  Eyelid skin is the thinnest in the body, and because of that it is very susceptible to environmental damage, stress, and dehydration.  Hereditary issues can also play a part.

The first reaction of many people undergoing the same problems is to resort to over-the-counter creams, and products touted on infomercials, TV and radio.  These products are basically glorified moisturizers, and most of them don't do anything.

Judging from your pictures alone, and you sent several very good ones, I already have a good idea of what I'd do if you were to come into my practice.  First, I would build up your collagen using called platelet-rich plasma.  This procedure uses your own blood, which is taken like a normal lab test, and spinning it to concentrate the platelets.  Platelets are the part of the blood responsible for clotting and healing.  When carefully injected in the under eye area, it generates collagen building growth factors, and collagen is the backbone of the skin.  Platelet-rich plasma is the only injectable capapble of stimulating new blood supply.   We have used this leading-edge procedure for several years now and have had great results in improving skin quality and texture.  In addition, I could also use lasers or radio frequency devices to stimulate and tighten new collagen using heat or radio frequency.

On top of that, I would also consider the use of fillers in the deeper areas known as the tear trough.  If there are hollow areas under your eyes, I would fill the space using a filler like Restylane.  I would inject it very carefully and artistically in the area to create a smooth, natural look. 

In your picture where you are squinting or smiling, there are slight wrinkles that appear under your eyes.  This is what is known as dynamic wrinkles, or wrinkles that appear when your face is active.  You might want to consider the periodic use of Botox or Dysport to address this.  Naturally, at the age of 24 you may think you are too young to be doing this, but if you have the genetic tendency and want to prevent wrinkles from happening, then the treatment is worth considering.

Lastly, I would also recommend improving the health and hydration of your skin.  In my practice's skin care line, we have a product called Eye Rescue that works on the top layer of skin in improving hydration and overall appearance.  It isn't a treatment by itself, but it works well in combination with the other treatments I mentioned.

I hope this was helpful, and thank you again for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Removing lower eyelid wrinkles

+2

There are generally three methods to reduce lower eyelid wrinkles.

1. Utilizing peels, lasers or any other ablative or semi ablative techniques to stimulate new collagen growth. Though effective, most people want to have little to no downtime and in order to get a very effective result with which most patients would be extremely satisfied, these techniques will fall short of their stated goals. These techniques are wonderful if they are utilized in an appropriate strength. However, the type of energy needed with a laser to treat your wrinkles maybe too much for your olive skin.

2. Carefully injecting a temporary filler (such as Belotero® or Restylane®) underneath the skin with magnification. This could be quite effective but does involve the risk of producing irregularities and lumps and will necessitate a certain amount of bruising.

3. Performing a simple surgery under local anesthesia called a n pinch blepharoplasty. In this operation, a small strip of skin is removed directly underneath the lower eyelash line and results in a nearly invisible scar. The recovery is very rapid (a couple of days) and involves one single stitch which is removed in five days. This approach is actually the least complicated in appropriate hands and will produce the most consistent and significant of results in reducing your lower eyelid wrinkles.

Randal Haworth, MD

Dark Circles and Bags Under the Eyes

+1

For bags and dark circles under the eyes, I really like fillers to start with in you case.  You can have one of the hyaluronic acids injected like Juvederm or Radiesse and see how you like the results.  The advantage to the hyaluronic acids is that they can be dissolved if you do not like the results. This for will avoid surgery for you and should give you a great result.  The darker skin may not go away but a better contour in this area will allow for easier concealer application.  You can always move to a longer term solution like Radiesse or Artefill if this works out for you.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon