What's the Best Treatment for my 19 Month Old's Scar on Her Forehead?

My 19 month old daughter fell 2 weeks ago causing about a 1/2 inch cut her forehead. Wound was closed together with butterfly bandage which she pulled off later and a scab formed. She pulled the scab off last week and now it's just a reddened indented scar. What are the best treatments for this and do you think this will be permanent? I have vitamin e capsules, maderma cream, silicone gel and sheets. Should I be using any of these products? Which one is best and should I be using more than one?

Toddler's facial scar

+1
Whenever the skin is breached full thickness, a scar will result. How that scar goes on to heal is dependent on a variety of factors including whether it was a straight-lne wound rather than irregular or ragged, how it was closed, skin tone, genetics and sun exposure. It is too early for silicone sheeting and you can surely expect that a 19 month old will pull it of and further traumatize the wound area. Young children cannot have fillers or injections because they simply cannot tolerate them well so be patient and viligant as the scar goes on to heal.

Treatment of Scar in 19 Month-Old

+1

Time is on your side.  Believe it or not, this scar will improve a lot on its own in terms of the indentation and the color over the next couple of months to a year.  Most importantly, I would try and keep her from picking at the area and avoid sun exposure to the scar (if possible).  Whatever doesn't improve on its own can be corrected at a later date with office-based treatments such as laser, filler and/or injections (depending on what the scar looks like). In the meantime I recommend daily to twice daily use of a silicone-based scar gel with sunscreen in it such as bioCorneum Advanced Scar Supervision or Kelo-cote Advanced Formula Scar Therapy.

Channing R. Barnett, MD