What is the Best Treatment for a Large Blue Periorbital Vein? (photo)

I have a large bluish vein near right eye. My dernatologist told me there was no laser that would treat it. Would appreciate any suggestions especially in the Long Island area

Sclerotherapy or microphlebectomy or Laser for Under Eye Veins - Buffalo Niagara, NY

This picture you provide is an excellent one for other patients to see. 

It is quite prominent on the outer rim of the eye, in the periorbital area.

I believe that this is a sizable vein and therefore it could be treated with microphlebectomy with two very tiny puncture wounds which will heal very nicely.

Some dermatologists prefer to use long pulse wave (LPW) lasers for this but I reserve the long pulse lasers (Nd YAG and KTP) for smaller periorbital veins.

Sclerotherapy should be tried for this particular vein and if it fails, microphlebectomy can be performed.

The best place to go is to go to a practice such as ours where we offer and have expertise with all treatments such that the physician can provide you with one or more that is best for your specific concerns. 

Sclerotherapy or microphlebectomy.

This vein can be treated by microphlebectomy or sclerotherapy.  Sclerotherapy is controversial among many physicians but there are accepted techniques to perform this and there is a lot of published information in the vein literature about sclerotherapy for periorbital veins.  I would treat this vein with sclerotherapy.  I have been doing periorbital sclerotherapy for many years with excellent cosmetic results and no complications.  I would refer you to vein experts for more information concerning periorbital sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Peri-orbital vein, around the eyes

This is a difficult area to treat, due to the location and the proximity to the eye. In my opinion, surgical removal with micro-incisions is the only possible option.  I would try to locate a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facial procedures to discuss it with you further.

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS
Austin General Surgeon

Treatment of large eye veins

Thank you for your question about the large blue vein near your eye.

• an office procedure by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can ligate (tie off) this vein.
  • Ask your dermatologist for a referral. Hope this helps. Best wishes.