What is the best treatment for someone who has always had dark circles? (photo)

I have always had dark under eye circles and now that I am getting older I want to do something about it. I have read about several different procedures that claim to help with this problem (IPL, chemical peel, etc). There are some groupons for a couple of these procedures, but before I buy them I want to make sure I am selecting the correct treatment.

"Dark circles"

+1
The photo is helpful, but an in-person evaluation is more valuable. In general, there are three reasons why the skin around the eyes can be [or seem] darker:
1. The thin eyelid skin allows the darker muscle underneath to show
2. The contrast between eyelid fat bulging, and hollowness at the orbital rim [tear trough] eyes can create a shadow effect that exacerbates darkness.
3. Skin pigmentation [sometimes from blood products from bruising] If it is bloodproduct pigmentation, it could last months to improve.
Depending on which of the above is the issue, different modalities may be helpful [time, fillers, laser resurfacing, concealer etc].
In your case, I would expect that its a combination of 1 and 2 [hollowness and thin skin]

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

What to do for under eye dark circles?

+1
You have significant hollowness underneath your eyes, which causes the dark circle appearance due to shadow effect.  Filling the hollow area (either filler or fat) can be beneficial. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon