What is the Treatment for Bone Resorption After a Chin Implant?

I would like to have a chin implant and was wondering if there is a way to avoid bone resorption is this only a problem if you need to have the implant removed due to infection?

Treatment for bone resorption after chin implantation

+1

It is possible to have a small amount of bone resorption over the years after having a chin implant placed. This is normally only noticeable on x-rays and is rarely clinically evident.

One way to help prevent bone resorption is to leave some of the perichondrium that covers the bone in the midline to act as a buffer between the jaw bone and implant.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation

Bone Resorption after Chin Implant

+1

Bone resorption does occur long term after a chin implant but in 35 years I've never seen this cause any clinical problems.

Bone resorption with chin implant

+1

Bone resorption is seen radiographically but not clinically usually. Even when resorption occurs, there is no apparent loss of chin projection or symptoms. Bone resorption is less common when the implant is placed over the hard bone of the mandible which is where it is normally placed. Oral surgeons like to talk about this to justify bigger procedures.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon