What is the Best Treatment for Bags Under the Eyes?

I have heard that Restyline is preferred over Juvederm?

Eyelid bags

+1

The best treatment for lower eyelid bags is removal of the fad pads.  This is done thru a transconjunctival incision located on the inside of the eyelid.  We have seen many complications from fillers injected into the eyelids and do not recommend them

Restylane vs Juvederm, under eyes treatment

+1

I agree that Restylane will pose less of a risk for injection under the eyelids as it attracts less water; thereby diminishing the risk of swellling or bumps from injection.

Radiesse, Artefill , Sculptra or fat injections are other good options.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic prior to making any treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Restylane vs. Juvederm

+1

Either Restylane or Juvederm can be used under the eyes, but I prefer Restylane because Juvederm can attract water to it and cause unpredictable, possibly lumpy results. It really depends on who is injecting the substance and their experience. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Treatment of eyelid bags

+1

There are many solutions to lower eyelid bags, and the right answer for you depends on your anatomy.  If you have a major bulge of the lower eyelid structures, it is unrealistic to think that a filler injection will solve the problem.  In my practice we are seeing an increasing number of patients who were treated with filler in this area and all they have obtained is an extra bulge that needs to be reduced with a substance that melts the filler.  Filler works quite well if there is a subtle hollow beneath the lower eyelid ( so-called tear trough), but technique is important.  The choice of filler depends on the surgeon's experience, but there is a general trend away from more robust filler is this location.  If the doctor who is going to treat you doesn't know what this means, find someone else to treat you.

John Q. Cook, MD

Best Treatment for Eye Bags

+1

Hi Alknah.  As Dr. Echavez points out, there is more than one option for eye bags and it depends on the patient and practitioner for which one is the "best" option.  

In many cases for our patients, it is an issue of how much they want to spend or whether or not they are open to surgery.  In many cases, a patient would benefit from surgery, but is not ready to go that route or is financially unable.  In this case, we use Restylane to improve the situation and we use this until they are ready to consider a surgical route.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Best treatment for bags under the eyes

+1

There is no one best treatment for bags under the eyes, as each person is different and each person may require different treatments.  Sometimes bags under the eyes can be improved with surgery.  If you are only looking at non-surgical treatments, then fillers can be sometimes used.  Restylane is not necessarily better than Juvederm.  They are just different brands of the same material.  Belotero is another brand of the same material as well.  Some doctors may have a preference for one brand over the other, but all of them should work well under the eyes and be equally effective.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon