What is the Best Total Sunblock to Use After Laser Resurfacing?

I need to protect my results and want to make sure no sun reaches my face and neck. What is the best sunblock to use that can be obtained in the US market (prescription or other)?

Sunscreen after facial laser resurfacing

+1

Depending on the level of resurfacing, you may not be able to apply any sunscreen until the day your doctor recommends to allow new epithelium to form.  We delay the use of sunscreen for several days, if not longer, for the Fraxel Repair laser but recommend much sooner use after the Fraxel Restore / Dual laser. Although there are several more elegant and sheer types of zinc oxide sunscreens than the older white paste that was seen on the noses of lifeguards, we have had several years of good use with the TNS Skin medica sunscreen that is in its ablative kit, designed especially for resurfacing. The Environmental Defense Sunscreen provides very good protectiton for skin that has healed after laser resurfacing. 

Best Sunblock after Laser Resurfacing

+1

Thank you for your question. Any sunscreen with a high concentration of Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide that is SPF  30 or greater, and does not irritate your skin would be best for your skin.  The key ingredient is reapplication every two hours as sunscreen does deteriorate with sun exposure. You should also wear sunglasses, sun protective clothing, and avoid the sun especially during the peak hours of 10am-4pm. Be certain to obtain yearly skin cancer screenings by your board certified dermatologist. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Best Sunscreen after Laser Resurfacing

+1

In my practice, both my staff and my patients agree that TIZO2 is the best sunscreen for use after laser as well as everyday use.  TIZO 2 is a sunscreen formulated to offer sheer, elegant protection with a silky, smooth, matte finish. It has multiple particle sizes of micronized titanium and zinc to offer a light, silky texture that dries to a clear, yet matte finish on any complexion. It offers unsurpassed, irritant free UVA/UVB light protection and is paraben, oil, and fragrance free. It is very water resistant andexcellent for sensitive skin.  It contains 8% Titanium Dioxide and 3.8% Zinc Oxide.  Hope this information helps you.  Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunblock

+1

The best can vary depending on who you ask. In our practice we like to say that between 30-50 % is good. Neutrogena is a good product its hypoallergenic.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Best sunblock after laser

+1
Really simple. Turn the bottle over and look for one of two ingredients: zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These provide true physical block to both uva and uvb exposure. Also reapply every two hours if sweating or strenuous activity. Hope this was helpful. Best. Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunblock after Laser Resurfacing

+1

I agree that a sunscreen with a physical blocker, such as zinc oxide, is the best sunscreen and provides the broadest protection against both UVA and UVB rays.  Some brands to look for include Solbar and Elta MD.  Neutrogena also has a sunscreen with zinc oxide which is labelled as Sensitive Skin.  You should look at the active ingredients listed on the sunscreen to make sure zinc oxide is listed.  Some of the physical blockers are very white and pasty.  The higher-end sunscreens tend to have a more elegant look and feel. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Sun protection after laser resurfacing

+1

I agree that it is most important to protect your skin from the sun to help maintain your results post procedure.  I would look for a sunscreen with an SPF of 30, and one that also protects against UVA. I personally like ones that contain micronized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. I use one called TIZO3,which is tinted and goes on matte. I use this in place of foundation make up. Even the best sunscreens sweat off in about 2 hours when outdoors, so don't forget to reapply. A brimmed hat is a nice addition when outdoors, too.

Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon