Can I Just Have the Top of my Ears Pinned/shaped? If So, is This Simpler and Less Costly Than a Full Otoplasty? (photo)

As can be seen from the pictures, my ears protrude at the top in a 'elf' like fashion - one worse than the other. The rest of my ear(s) are a good size and shape and it is solely the top portion that I would like to have corrected to a more natural angle. I was wondering whether this was a relatively minor operation, given the small intervention involved and whether the costs, recovery time etc were likely to be lower than the cost for a more full otoplasty. Other observations appreciated.

Can I Just Have the Top of my Ears Pinned/shaped? If So, is This Simpler and Less Costly Than a Full Otoplasty?

The cost would be about $3000 on the low end.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Otoplasty for the top half of the ears

When performing surgery on the top half of the of the ears it's usually a full  otoplasty, since this is the portion of takes the most time to recreate the anti-helical fold. The surgery can be performed under local anesthesia and expect 2 weeks of swelling and bruising around the ears. Our photo gallery and price list is  located on the link below

Minor Ear Contour Issues

Thank you for your pictures.  You do have a milder issue and the correction should be less involved. The cost to improve that varies.  Only after consultation with several BC PS would you have a true picture of cost.

Dr. ES

Otoplasty for the top of the ear only.

Otoplasty for the top of the ear only will take a shorter time but probably only reduce the cost slightly. 

It is possible to just set back the upper part of your ear if the lower "bowl" portion of the ear is in a good position. This will save some time in the operating room but not a significant difference. Many plastic surgeons will set fees based on the time it takes to complete a procedure. A small reduction in operative time might reduce your cost in certain practices but I wouldn't anticipate this difference to be large. The toughest portion of an otoplasty is correction of the upper portion of the ear and creation of underdeveloped ear folds. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon