Can I Just Have the Top of my Ears Pinned/shaped? If So, is This Simpler and Less Costly Than a Full Otoplasty? (photo)

As can be seen from the pictures, my ears protrude at the top in a 'elf' like fashion - one worse than the other. The rest of my ear(s) are a good size and shape and it is solely the top portion that I would like to have corrected to a more natural angle. I was wondering whether this was a relatively minor operation, given the small intervention involved and whether the costs, recovery time etc were likely to be lower than the cost for a more full otoplasty. Other observations appreciated.

Can I Just Have the Top of my Ears Pinned/shaped? If So, is This Simpler and Less Costly Than a Full Otoplasty?

+1

The cost would be about $3000 on the low end.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Otoplasty for the top half of the ears

+1

When performing surgery on the top half of the of the ears it's usually a full  otoplasty, since this is the portion of takes the most time to recreate the anti-helical fold. The surgery can be performed under local anesthesia and expect 2 weeks of swelling and bruising around the ears. Our photo gallery and price list is  located on the link below

Minor Ear Contour Issues

+1

Thank you for your pictures.  You do have a milder issue and the correction should be less involved. The cost to improve that varies.  Only after consultation with several BC PS would you have a true picture of cost.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Otoplasty for the top of the ear only.

+1

Otoplasty for the top of the ear only will take a shorter time but probably only reduce the cost slightly. 

+1

It is possible to just set back the upper part of your ear if the lower "bowl" portion of the ear is in a good position. This will save some time in the operating room but not a significant difference. Many plastic surgeons will set fees based on the time it takes to complete a procedure. A small reduction in operative time might reduce your cost in certain practices but I wouldn't anticipate this difference to be large. The toughest portion of an otoplasty is correction of the upper portion of the ear and creation of underdeveloped ear folds. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon