Can the Tissues Supporting a Suspension Suture Tear (Say After a Hematoma) Causing One Side to Look Less Lifted Than the Other?

Postoperative Face Asymmetry

+1

While it is possible for the sutures to have ruptured, it is also possible the inflammation from the hematoma could have caused some of your asymmetry.  There are several other potential reasons as well, so I recommend discussing your situation with your surgeon who can examine you and evaluate your situation first hand.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Suture Released after Facelift

+1

The sutures in the SMAS can always break or loosen after facelift.  This would be hard to evaluate without an exam and preop pictures to assess facial nerve function, facial asymmetry preop, degree of swelling postop, and relative laxity of tissues comparing both sides of the face.

Facial asymmetry after face lift

+1

It is quite possible that a suspension sutures may have torn, or you jsut have facial asymmetry. Hard to say without an exam.  You should speak with your surgeon.

Asymmetry is Normal in the Human Face

+1

Hematoma aside, it is important to note that there is always going to be a difference in your facelift result from side to side. Everyone's face is a union of the right and left sides coming together in the womb. One side is the "long" side where the eyebrow, cheek fat and jowl is lower than the opposite "shorter" side.

Check with your before surgery images to see what is the situation is for you, in reference to the hematoma.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and long term results after face lift

+1

many potential factors can interphere with the healing process of  face lift. hematoma is one of this,but quite unlikely and rare.

tissue healing must be completed in 6 ,8 months ,scar settled and the final result with positive and side effects should be clearly visible. stiches are re-asorbablein longer period , in order to assure a stability of result . would consider a touch up, once the result is stabilized

London Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is possible but thankfully uncommon. If you've had a hematoma or severe bruising and swelling it can take many weeks to several months for things to settle down and to allow you and your surgeon to see the actual result. There are many possible reasons why one side of your face would look more or less lifted than the other. However, I would definitely give it at least a few months before passing judgement as asymmetric swelling can really be misleading in the early healing period. If you did need a revision to improve your result, I would recommend waiting 6-12 months to allow adequate healing. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facelift-necklift/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after facelift can affect results

+1

Bleeding and a hematoma after a facelift can cause healing delays and prolonged bruising, and it is possible that the suspension suturing is giving way. Stay in contact with your surgeon to see how things settle out.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/facelift