Will the Tip Necessarily Drop After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 13 days ago and I am very happy with the position of the tip at this point. However, I keep reading that the tip usually drops as the swelling subsides. Is it unlikely for it to remain in the same position after it fully heals?

Will the tip necessarily drop after rhinoplasty?

+2
  • The nasal tip is generally turned up after surgery and relaxes to its final position after a few weeks. However, every patient heals differently. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as they know the details of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Will the Tip Necessarily Drop After Rhinoplasty?

+2

Following a Rhinoplasty the nasal tip may settle a bit on some cases depending on the tip thinning technique that was used however, in many cases the tip stays where it is once the cast has been removed. 

Tip drop

+2

Your tip does look nice, and it may stay where it is now. But swelling can enhance the tip projection and appearance for a while.

Tip Drop

+2

I also like your current profile but it is very soon to understand any long term changes that your nose will develop.  The tip can drop to a degree.  But...if the approach was a closed endonasal approach you could actually see minor rotation in the other direction.  Bottom line is that your nose appears to be doing very well at this stage...so just avoid any injuries for now!!  Good luck.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip drop after rhinoplasty

+2

Some subtle changes can be expected for up to a year after rhinoplasty.  Whether your tip will significantly change or not depends on what maneuvers your surgeon did during the case to support the nose.  Consult with the surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Position of the nasal tip may change modestly as swelling decreases after rhinoplasty.

+2

I cannot comment about anything specifically based on the photograph presented. One can expect changes in the tip over the next few months going forward.

Maintaining Tip Position Following Rhinoplasty

+2

How stable the position of the tip is following surgery is mostly determined by the techniques used by the surgeon to stabilize the tip to keep it from being effected by the pull of gravity (which is considerable). It's best to have this discussion with your surgeon by asking him/her how confident they are, considering the stabilizing techniques they used, that the tip will remain where it is vs dropping.  One way to prevent further dropping, if this is a possibility is to put a tape sling around the tip, and tape it up to the sides of the nose -- and use this sling as often as is reasonable considering your life style.  Please ask your surgeon if he/she thinks this is appropriate to do in your case before trying it.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip drop?

+2

There is still some swelling at 13 days post op. Your nose looks very good. The tip may drop a very little bit but I wouldn't worry at this time. Your surgeon may have performed techniques during the procedure to minimize tip drop.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

+1

The tip drop over time is dependent upon many factors and may not occur at all.   This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.   The swelling is going to be very prominent at this early stage.  I would follow with your surgeon.   This may take the full year or more to resolve.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD