How Can I Tell Whether the Tip of my Nose (Supratip) is Still Swollen After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had revision rhinoplasty performed 5 months ago and the nasal supratip is still large. It looks almost the same as before but my surgeon told me that he "significantly reduced the nasal supratip". I do not know wheather it is still swollen or if this is my final result. Is there a way for me to check if it is swelling? Is there a way to fix this? I have thick skin and I am a body builder if that makes a difference.

+1

There is most likely swelling at the supratip and tip this early after a revision rhinoplasty.  Physical exam would be necessary to confirm.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What is considered normal swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty can persist up to 18 to 24 months especially in the tip and supra tip area.  Five months is relatively early in the healing process.  Sometimes scar tissue can form in the supra tip which can create a poly beak deformity.  This can begin as early as 6 weeks post op.  If your surgeon suspects that this is happening, they can inject steroids to treat this.  There is no way to know if once the swelling comes down if you will have the desired tip refinement.  Only time will tell.  Going in too soon, and having a third surgery can only cause more harm.  Its best to follow up with your surgeon and consider steroid injections if they feel its indicated.  If not, just wait it out.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon