Will the tip drop keep dropping even after 4 weeks after open rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I had an open septo-rhinoplasty 25 days ago. My main concern after the OP is my piggish appearance. My previous nose was with a hump and a droopy tip. Now, unfortunately, there is too much nostril show, which is bothering me a lot and don't think i will get used to that. I would really wish that the tip drops significantly though, maybe with 2-3 mm. What are the chances of my tip not being so upturned and how much of a drooping can i rely on with a 1 month post-op nose?

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear fxt, After reviewing your photographs I can certainly see where your concern comes in. Unfortunately, in my professional opinion, your nose is over rotated, shortened and the dorsum is over reduced leading to an  unnatural appearance. The only thing I can tell you right now is that you are still in the recovery phase and hopefully you will see some improvement as the swelling slowly dissipates over the next few months to a year. I wish I could provide more assurance for you. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully he or she can provide some reassurance. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Will the tip drop keep dropping even after 4 weeks after open rhinoplasty?

Still very early in the healing phase following open rhinoplasty. Allow at least 4 to 6 months of healing...

Too Soon!

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the "piggish" appearance. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS