Will the Thongbra Compression Garment Alone Help Fix Congenital Symmastia?

I have congenital symmastia which gives my breasts a saggy and undefined appearance. I don't think I have any breast tissue between my breasts, its mostly skin and fat, which do not lay flat on the sternum. I'm at my ideal weight so I'm not sure whether weight loss will help. I know the thong bra is worn after symmastia repair surgery. Will the thong bra alone help mild symmastia? I'm also considering liposuction. Is this effective? Where would the incision for be located? Thank you.

Compression Bra to Treat Symmastia?

+1

The compression bra can be used after symmastia repair, but the bra is not the treatment.  Liposuction may be appropriate, but pictures would be helpful.

Symmastia correction.

+1

Unfortunately, a garment will not correct this problem. Symmastia will likely require breast surgery to improve it, but depending on your anatomy - may not be a "correction" - only an improvement. Good luck. Dr. Aldo Guerra.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Compression bra will not correct symmastia

+1

The compression bras used after surgery are not really corrective but protective, to support the sutures used for the correction until the healing has occurred. The bra alone will not correct the problem. 

It is not possible to give much of a useful answer without an exam or at least photos. I can say that liposuction can be useful for the congenital form of symmastia. The incisions are small would be concealed in the breast fold.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Synmastia

+1

a compression garment will not help this form of problem. I advise you to seek evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Symmastia

+1

The bra is not going to make any difference by itself. It is important to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in treating uncommon breast problems to identify the etiology of your problem and to recommend the best treatment. It sounds like you may need a breast lift in addition to correction of the symmastia. You do not appear to have a simple problem so seek out someone experienced in complex breast surgery and realize that the treatment may cost more than a standard breast surgery due to it's complexity. You will save money in the long run. 

David R. Stephens, MD

Compression garment to correct symmastia

+1

Unfortunately, a compression garment will not correct symmastia.  You should see a plastic surgeon to see if any surgical correction is possible or advisable.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment to correct symmastia.

+1

Thanks for your question.  You cannot correct symmastia with a garment of any kind, so I wouldn't waste any money on any type of garment.  There is no way to say whether your symmastia could be improved with liposuction without actually seeing a photo.  If liposuction is indicated it would require only a few mm length incision that can easily be hidden.  Hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

No external device will correct or prevent congenital synmastia.

+1

No external type of compression or separation type of garment will prevent or repair congenital synmastia.  A physical examination would be needed to give you some idea if a surgical correction is possible.  It is possible that it could actually be improved with either a combination of a breast augmentation or liposuction of the peri-sternal area.  

Compression Bra for Symmastia

+1

Compression bras for symmastia that are seen post-operatively can work very well.  Unfortunately, it sounds like you were born this way.  If that is the case, it will not help and you do need surgery to fix it.  I hope this helps.  Best of luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Compression Garments Do Not Correct Synmastia

+1
Symmastia is the lack of normal separation between the breasts.  It can occur with congenital or acquired chest deformities.  The most common cause is as a result of implant malposition after breast augmentation.  Correction of the breast augmentation patient requires redefining the implant pockets with sutures.  Postoperatively, this repair is supported with a garment, but the garment cannot repair the problem by itself.  In cases of congenital symmastia, it is important to ascertain the cause.  If there is a chest wall deformity causing the breasts to fall inward, then liposuction alone is unlikely to help.  Garments alone, will noth solve this problem either.  Consulation with a board certified plastic surgeon and physical examination is recommended.   Good Luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon