What is the Name of the Glue Used on Porcelain Veneers That Have Stayed On?

I have had 6 veneers put on and 1 by 1 they are popping off!!! My bite has been checked and rechecked. Also, I wear a night guard EVERY night. My dentist, who is as frustrated as I am, used Kerr glue brand, but I was wondering if there is a better success rate with a different brand. Please help me,,,,,It's embarrassing losing a veneer in public. Thanks!

There are several good veneer glues but other issues may be involved

+2

There are several reasons why this may be happening. The bite, the amount of enamel left on your teeth, the glue (bonding cement), the bonding technique of the doctor, etc.....

So if your bite has been checked and you wear a night guard then we can probably discard this. I'm going to assume you have a full complement of teeth in the back molars and are not putting added pressure to the fronts.  

The are two cements I use with good success: 1) Variolink II by Ivoclar and 2) Rely-X Veneer cement by 3M.  I know Kerr has good dental products so I'm not sure it is the company (I guess you could have a bad batch of cement or could be expired).

If your teeth do not have an adequate amount of good enamel to bond to,  then you may be better off with full crowns. Venees get their bond strength from enamel.

Good bonding technique is crucial. You can do a whole day lecture on this. But basically, you must follow all the steps with no shorcuts and you must keep the veneer and tooth isolated and free of saliva or water contamination during the process.

Also, the lab has to use the correct porcelain and prepare it properly to bond it. It must be etched with hydrofluoric acid and the doctor has to silane it. Some doctors choose to etch it at the office.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers popping off...

+1
I have heard of this type of thing happening before and 9 times out of 10, it is the glue.  Most dentists use a different glue for all porcelain/emax/zirconia veneers, but what I find is that the same glue that the same cement that your dentist has used for years on gold crowns, will work perfectly on porcelain and zirconia veneers.  I recommend that he try one of his other glues.  I hope this helps.
Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Belleville Cosmetic Dentist

Popping veneers

+1

Dear Ringo,

In a recent study veneers had a 99% 10 year success rate when the preparation is totally in enamel and the veneer is bonded to enamel.  The success rate drops dramatically when the preparation is extended into dentin. It is my opinion that dentin bonding does not work over the long term.  I have seen thousands of situations where it breaks down over time.  If your preparations are into dentin, then the best solution is probably to replace the veneers and do "360 veneers" extending all of the way around the back.  No bonding adhesive will work if the biomechanical principals are flawed.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer problem

+1

the first thing i do is look at the veneer that is off. Is the residual bonding agent on the veneer? Is is on the tooth? This will usually give you insight where the problem lies. the cement on the veneer means the tooth was not adequately prepared and the amount of dentin was too great, the moisture content was not ideal, or the bonding agent was applied incorrectly to the tooth. If the "glue" is on the tooth then the porcelain was not etched enough or too much, the surface did not get the right amount of silane to chemically activate the porcelain for get a good chemical bond to the resin. Light could be an issue if the veneers are too thick (which yo0u should have probably gotten a 3/4 crown prep design or crown prep for better retention) it does not polymerize the resin completely so a dual cure cement is needed. Their are many issues to consider and most of the companies make really good resin bonding agents so to blame a "glue" is an inadequate excuse in my opinion

J. Willis Baker, DDS
Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers coming off

+1

When veneers come off it is generally due to the way they are bonded, what is left of the tooth beneath, or the way your teeth fit together.  The brand of cement is not usually a factor.  The cementation process is very specific and if there is a problem, this can happen, but I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the bite than the cement.  A second opinion may be a good idea.

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers popping off 1 by 1, what is causing this

+1

Sorry to hear about the issues that you are having.  There are several reasons why this may be happening. First you said that they have checked your bite,if your bite is off it can cause this problem, you said it is not we can eliminate that.  Another is  the amount of enamel left on your teeth, the bonding system used, and the bonding technique of the doctor.  I have not heard about the kerr product used.  If it continues I would seek a second opinion.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist