What is the Name of the External Tissue on the Underside of the Nose That Separates the Nostrils?

I recently had a small cyst removed from the exterior skin that is under my nose which separates the two nostrils. I've Googled and WebMDed to find what this area is called, but I've seen nothing definitive. I've seen the terms "frenulum," "columna," and "nasal septum," but I'm not satisfied that any of these are correct.

What separates the nostrils

+2

The structure dividing the two nostrils is the columella. the area of the lip below it is the philtrum. The septum is internal.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The section, of the nose, that you are describing is called the "Columella".  Hope this helps.

+1

The area you are referring to is called the columella. This structure is made up by a portion of the two lower lateral cartilages and the skin and ligaments in this area.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Nose Anatomy

+1

I believe the anatomical area you are referring to is the COLUMELLA.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

The answer is columella.

+1

The nasal septum is the central structure inside the nose that divides the nasal cavity into left and right sides, and it is comprised of cartilage, bone, and mucous membranes on either side. The skin below the septum is the columella. You can actually pinch the skin of the columella and move it back and forth over the caudal (lower edge or "tail" end) of the septal cartilage.

The frenulum is the band of mucous membrane that runs from the midline of the lip to the gum inside your upper and lower lips. Another frenulum is the band on the underside of the tongue.

In non-medical terms, the columella is the skin that hangs down between your nostrils. This is where an incision is made for open rhinoplasty. Closed rhinoplasty uses incisions only inside the nostrils.

BTW, any physician (not just rhinoplasty surgeons) knows this anatomic definition is definitive. Hope that clears this up! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Columella forms the base of the nose

+1

The medical term for the portion of the nose between the nostrils is the columella.  There is cartilage under this area of skin called the lower lateral cartilage as well as the septum.  

Nomenclature

+1

Dr. Schwartz from West Palm Beach and Dr. Weber from Lone Tree are exactly right.  Now you can talk about the Columella, the Nasal Septum and the Philtrum over the dinner table!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella

+1

The soft tissue that separates the nostrils is called the columella. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon