What is the Best Technique for Flat Brown Mole Removal on the Breast Region? (photo)

Hi, my name is Nicole and I have always been self conscious about my mole. Especially since it is on my chest/breast. I would like to have the least amount of scarring. Description of mole: flat, brown, the size of a pencil eraser. I have used special creams to try and get it off but it didn't work.

Mole removal on the breast or chest

+1

This mole may be removed with surgical excision and layered closure.  I would recommend very close observation of the scar thereafter to prevent scarring. 

Scalpel Sculpting and Dermaplaning Work Well For Removing Flat Moles (Beauty Marks, Birth Marks)

+1

Although removing larger moles by any method from any location is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

Following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes.

Perfectly flat moles (beauty marks, birth marks) can be elevated a tad with the local anesthetic and then more easily scalpel sculpted away and shaped to the contour of the surrounding skin.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Best way to remove a mole on the chest

+1

Most likely your mole can easily be removed by a simple shave excision which should result in a minimal scar. I do not recommend only seeing a plastic surgeon, as suggested below, because plastic surgeons typically do not do shave excisions.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Best technique to remove flat brown mole

+1

Creams will not remove moles, so don't waste your money on that anymore. Your best bet would be to see a board-certified dermatologist/dermatologic surgeon who can easily remove this for you with a shave excision. The area will be injected with a tiny amount of lidocaine, and the mole will literally be shaved off with a small scalpel, no sutures needed. If you follow proper post-care, i.e., keeping the area clean, moist, and free from scabs, you should have nothing left but maybe a tiny pinkish mark.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD