Will the Swellings Under Mouth Flatten and Go Back to Normal?

Two days ago I had fillers to help with the shadow each side of my mouth. I am worried about the 'Godfather' look that I seem to have. I have quite a lot of bruising which I understand will go in a week or so, but will the swelling each side under my mouth where the bruises are go back to normal? Or is this where the filler is and this is 'the look'? The shadows at the corners of my mouth have been reduced but the swelling is below this area.

+1

Swelling and bruising is very common after having fillers applied, give it a full 2-3 weeks to settle before seeing your final result.

Two days post injection is impossible to evaluate

+1

Please wait at least a week to evaluate the effects of the Restylane.  There is swelling and bruising which always distorts the initial results.  Ice, take Arnica, and wait.  If after a week or more you are still very swollen or uneven you should return to your treating physician for evaluation.

Bruising will subside but....

+1

It is really hard to assess your results while you are still in the healing phase.  Bruising usually takes a week or so to resolve and if you are swollen maybe a little longer.  I always see my patients two weeks after they have had fillers to assess the results.  Luckily restylane is a very forgiving filler that can be removed easily if there is a need to do so.  That being said- if you are talking about filling the lines that extend from the mouth to the jaw- the marionette lines- there are often other areas on the face that have lost volume and are contributing to these lines.  Addressing overall facial volume loss can have a much more pleasant and natural outcome than putting a lot of filler just around the mouth which can lead to a "muzzle-y" look.

Philadelphia Dermatologic Surgeon

Soft tissue filler

+1

It usually takes 1-2 weeks for the filler to settle and for the initial swelling and potential brusing to subside.  It's best to assess the outcome of the injection then.

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC

Toronto Dermatology Centre

Toronto Dermatologist

Swelling After Restylane

+1

Hi Emma:

As long as you have bruising, you cant really assess swelling. A couple things you might want to consider (though it might be a little late) is some ice compresses to minimize swelling and bruising. Another thing you could try for bruising would be some arnica. Another suggestion, and what I often offer to my patients, is that if there is noticeable superficial bruising, we can treat the bruising with VBeam or pulse dye laser which I do complimentary since I always have the correct lasers available in my practice and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Easiest thing is to wait until the swelling and bruising subsides after 10 days to 2 weeks and follow up with your provider if adjustments need to be made.

Steven L Swengel MD & Associates

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling post injections

+1

Emma,  Hang in there.  You need to give it time for all the bruising to go away before you can have any indication of your final results.  Where there is bruising there is swelling.  A two week follow up with your provider is a good time to reevaluate your outcome.  From what you have described, there is no reason for alarm.  Bruising and swelling after dermal filler is a common side effect and is temporary.  Good luck!

Rogers Dermatologist

Swelling and Bruising after Injections...

+1

Swelling and bruising on average can last 7 to 10 days.  Some patients, depending on their age and elasticity of their skin can retain some swelling a little longer.  Follow up with your provider in 2 weeks.

Hang in there.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina PlasticSurgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com/plastic_surgery/restylane.cfm

Restylane and Swelling

+1

Based on your description, you are having typical swelling, peaking around day 3 or 4 after injection(s), and this can last a week or longer. The bruising can linger on too. I'd allow time for the swelling to subside, and then reassess how things are looking. Following up with the provider for further assessment at that point to discuss expectations is the next step.