Is It Possible That the Swelling from my Rhinoplasty is Making It Look Too Small? (photo)

As most rhinoplasty patients here, I'm not worried about my nose being too big from the swelling. I have the opposite problem. I had my rhinoplasty about 12 days ago. The tip is a lot closer to my face than what I had expected. Is it possible that the swelling is stretching the nose in such a way as to pull to tip closer to my face? I'm worried that my final result will be a flat/small nose (profile view). If my nose ends up being too small, can a revision make it slightly larger (tip further away)?

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Hi,

It would not be likely that swelling would make your nose "flatten" as it seems that you might be indicating.  You are very new in the process and therefore, you need time to tell your final result.

It is very useful to see your pre op photo.  I think you have a nice profile at this stage with your nose  but if this is much different than you expected, then you MUST discuss this with your surgeon.  A close doctor/patient relationship not only is healthy with your expectations/results but it allows an open door for discussions of options for any revision surgery.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Nose might be too small after rhinoplasty

+1
It is possible for the nose to look too small after rhinoplasty, or have a tip which is underprojecting, but only time will tell. Revision can improve tip projection though you should give things a good twelve months.

Rhinoplasty results take 6 to 12 months for the swelling to go down.

+1

You need to be patient as it takes 6 to 12 months for the swelling to go down. At that time the nose will probably look proportional and not be any problem. We can always be made larger or stick out farther if you choose to have that done a year from now

Rhinoplasty Recovery Takes Time

+1

At twelve days post surgery I would give this some time to settle. Typically the nose reduces in size after time. I am not sure what your preoperative photographs were like and what your desired aesthetic results that you discussed with your surgeon were. With this said, I would give the recovery process some time and I suggest that you see your surgeon for frequent  follow up appointments for reassurance. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD