Is the Swelling for Cheek Reduction Less Than the Swelling in Rhinoplasty?

Is the swelling for cheek reduction less than the swelling in rhinoplasty? DO I need to wear splint or cast after doing the cheek reduction surgery?

Swelling from Cheek reduction

+1

I myself assumed you were speaking about buccal fat pad removal which is the process of removing the fat in the area below the cheek. I have never reduced a cheekbone via rasping and all I can say is that I know there would be no splint for this process and would be extremely leary of any such surgery.

+1

The swelling from rasping down the cheekbones will most likely be greater than that caused by a Rhinoplasty but in my experience, it also goes away much quicker.

Recovery from Cheek Bone Reduction Surgery

+1

Cheek reduction surgery by bony burring or osteotomy is going to cause more swelling than that of a rhinoplasty. There are no dressings that are used afterward other than some ice packs the first night after surgery. It will usually take 3 months to see the full effects of this surgery and all swelling to subside.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheek Reduction & Rhinoplasty

+1

I assume that your terms "Cheek Reduction" translates medically into "Trans-oral Buccal Fat Pad Reductions," which do not require postoperative malar (cheek) splints or casts.  Please consult an experienced Cosmetic Surgeon for details.  

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after cheek reduction,

+1

I will answer this question with two of my own. What is a cheek reduction?  Is it the operation to narrow a wide face?

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon