What can I do to make the swelling go down faster after rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty a little over a week ago and got my cast off three days ago. I'm happy with it but I'm anxious for the swelling to go down, especially in the tip. Is there anything I can do to get the swelling down faster?

+1
    There is not a way to shift the endpoint in healing, so it is best to be patient and not let this aspect dominate your life.

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1
The initial bruising and swelling can be controlled with icing around the cheeks during the first 2 days after surgery. Typically, at one week, most surgeons remove the splint on the nose and there may be some rebound swelling of the nose itself. Most of this swelling will subside over the next 2-3 weeks, but it is not unusual to have some residual swelling and firmness for 1 -2 years after rhinoplasty. If the swelling is disproportionate in the first several months, sometimes steroid injections in the more swollen areas can help. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

+1
Every patient heals at a different rate.  Sleeping in an elevated position will help the swelling to subside.  Following your surgeon's recommendation for a fast recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Time is the best ticture

+1
Swellling after  a rhinoplasty is the most common thing we see. I am sure your surgeon mentioned it can take up to a year for this to resolve. I hate to say it, but once the cast is removed the swelling really depends on your body and its ability to form new Lymphatic channels and get rid of the swelling. the majority of the swelling will be gone in a month or two, but the reality is there is no magic way to get rid of it quicker. 

As always, make sure you check with your surgeon that the swelling is at a normal stage. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon