Will the Swelling and Tightness Ever Go After Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I had upper eyelid surgery 9 days ago. There is significant swelling of the eyelids from the eyelashes to crease, which is a lot more in one eye, which also does not shut completely(it stays slightly open in the corner of the eye near the nose). The swelling is really bad in the morning even though I am still sleeping with head elevated and it gets slightly better during the day but then starts all over again the next morning. I am concerned because of the obvious difference between the eyes.

9 days post blepharoplasty swelling and tightness normal?

+1

Thank you for your photos.  It looks as though you have a normal amount of swelling for the procedure your described. You are very early in your post operative course.  Please let your surgeon know what is going on as he/she knows how the operation was performed in the O.R.  

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/blepharoplasty-eyelift

Very appropriate result for 9 days out of surgery.

+1

I would urge you to be more patient with your body as you are healing. The eyelid asymmetry currently is minimal and likely will improve with time. You are at a very appropriate level of recovery. Eyelid tightness and swelling will continue to diminish with time. Wait at least 3 months before being concerned.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Clearly you feel there is an issue that is not being addressed by your surgeon.

+1

You are 9 day post op following aggressive upper eyelid surgery with a very high crease.  It is common for there to be significant dysfunction of the upper eyelids under these circumstances.  However, time is one the side of you and your surgeon.  While you are uncomfortable now, as the swelling settles, it is very likely that your ocular comfort will increase.  Time is immensely helpful in healing the tissues.  Will this allow the eye to full close.  Often it does but not always.  It is possible to have some degree of muscle dysfunction following upper blepharoplasty. At only 9 days post op however, it is impossible to know if this will be the case for you.  It is important to use artificial tears and possibly ointment at bedtime.  While time to heal is needed, your eyes need extra lubrication to  help with comfort.  Do communicate with your surgeon and if necessary, consider seeing the ophthalmologist who cleared you for eyelid surgery to assess and maximize your eye comfort.

Eyelid swelling after surgery

+1
You are in the initial postop phase so swelling is to be expected and is commonly uneven between the eyes. However, the person to whom this question should be addressed is your surgeon and I encourage you to reach out to him for support during the postop period.

Early eyelid swelling concerns requires a call back to your doctor

+1

As with all of the early postop questions we see on RS, this question should only be directed to your doctor.  Either you don't really trust that they will tell you the truth which makes me wonder why you let them operate on you, or you don't want to bother them which is also inappropriate because that is what they are there for in partnership with you through the surgical process.  So, I am not going to tell you whether this is normal or not and ask that you call your doctor today and speak with them.