Is the Swelling and Feeling Normal After 3 Weeks Post Op Tummy Tuck/lipo/hyst? (photo)

On December 14 I had a full TT ,Lipo & Hysterectomy. I had 2 drains one removed on Dec 27 second on Jan 2. I have swelling and can tap on my lower abdomial area / pubis area and see fluid move. Is this accumulation normal, will the body absord this or will it need to be aspirated? I wear the compression garment 24/7 and watch what I eat and drink protien shakes & take vitimans as well. 141 lbs pre / 137 post... I look 3 time bigger all the way around? Is this just swelling?

Fluid and swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.  If you are able to see fluid move under your skin when tapping on the area, you likely have a seroma that will need to be drained by your surgeon.  Make sure you contact your surgeon as soon as possible.  Having swelling 3 weeks after a tummy tuck/lipo/hyst is very common.  Good luck!

Swelling and Fluid Wave after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Any time you can see a fluid wave by tapping on your abdomen, you must get that fluid collection drained to assure the best possible postoperative contour.

Still With Swelling

+1

Typically, edema associated withe abdominoplasty can last several weeks (4-8).  Some type of abdominal support (binder or garment) is used to manage post op contour and minimize edema.  This should continue to improve.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck swelling

+1

If you have an area of swelling that sloshes like a water balloon, you may have a sermon, or a collection of fluid under the skin. This happens in about 10 percent of TTs. Your surgeon will be able to tell and the treatment is needle aspiration. If you do not have a sermon, it is not unusual to have some swelling of the lower abdomen post op which will gradually resolve.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Fluid after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry. If you have a seroma, a fluid collection, it should be easily identified by your plastic surgeon.  Please see your surgeon to evaluate.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Fluid under Skin after Tummy Tuck

+1

What you are describing sounds like a seroma (fluid collection) under the skin. Call your plastic surgeon so that it can be drained and treated properly. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Fluid after Abdominoplasty

+1

If you see a fluid wave beneath the skin, it could mean that you have a seroma. You should be seen by your surgeon to evaluate whether this fluid needs to be aspirated or drained. Over time, some of this fluid may be absorbed. Wearing your binder can help resorb this fluid more rapidly. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

Overall it looks like you're off to a good start. If you see movement of fluid beneath the skin, it could mean that you have a seroma. It would be best to contact your surgeon who can remove it in the office.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Fluid wave after drains are out

+1

If you can note a fluid wave, you should be seen by your surgeon who can evaluate whether or not this should be aspirated or drained. Depending on the amount of fluid, this could add further to the normally expected swelling.

Thanks for your question, and for the posted photos. Best wishes.