Why Are the End Sutures Still in Place Following a Breast Mastopexy and Uplift??

Hello, I have recently had a breast mastopexy and uplift (3 1/2 weeks ago) I had the stitches out 2 weeks following the surgery. I haven't even thought to ask but I have stitches remaining at each end of the crease incision (just one each end). Why is this? Should they be there or have they been missed? I am going to ask my surgeon too but he's obviously not in until Monday so just curious? Thanks,

Sutures After Breast Lift?

Your plastic surgeon likely left the  sutures at the end of the incision lines on purpose. He/she will likely remove them for you soon.

To avoid tying knots, some surgeons leave long suture ends outside of the skin

Some plastic surgeons leave the ends of sutures long to avoid having to tie a know under the skin.  Knots sometimes don't dissolve completely and can "spit" or become exposed.  Doesn't sound like a big deal.  Usually these edges of the sutures are just clipped in the office after a week or two.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Stitches Still In

I often leave the ends of the suture sticking out from each end of the incision so as to avoid leaving a knot right under the skin.  I suspect this is what your surgeon has done.  Just draw it to his attention and I suspect everything will be fine.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon