Should I Have the Surgery or Not?

I have saline implants that are 13 years old. Six months ago my left breast felt painful and the implant seemed to have shifted down quite a bit. The pain is gone but they dont look as they use to before. I consulted a plastic surgeon who suggested i can have them replaced with silicon implants. I am scheduled for surgery in a week but im having second thoughts since i am no longer in pain. Please help should i do the surgery now or wait longer.

Breast asymmetry

+1

This depends on what is bothering you and why you wanted surgery in the first place.  If you want the asymmetry corrected, it makes sense to have a revisionary surgery.  If you were going to have surgery for pain, you need to be clear that surgery doesn't always fix pain; surgery may help if the pain is related to capsular contracture.

Be 100% certain before consenting to elective surgery.

+1

If you are not certain that you want to switch to silicone gel implants don't undergo the procedure until you are completely confident. It sounds like you it would aesthetically benefit but this is not a necessary operation

Should I Have the Surgery or Not

+1

Since the pain is no longer an issue, what remains is the asymmetry. If it bothers you, by all means proceed with the surgery. The gel implants will look and feel better. If it doesn't bother you, hold off--you can always decide later.

Revisionary Breast Surgery Necessary?

+1

Based on your description, the only indication to have breast surgery at this point would be correction of the breast asymmetry ( if this breast asymmetry is of concern to you).   If you feel that a breast implant has moved out of its position (displaced) or if you are dealing with a breast implant leakage situation, then breast surgery may help improve your situation.

In other words,  the fact that the breast implants have been in place for 13 years, is not necessarily an indication to have them removed/replaced.

Implant exchange

+1

Usually, it is recommended that implants be changed when they are placed for approximately 10 years or longer. If there was pain in the breast, it is reasonable to assume that the pain may be due to capsular contracture, and the implants should be replaced along with an excision of the capsule - incidentally, this may or may not make the pain go away. If the pain is tolerable or transient, however, it is also acceptable to not do anything other than observation. If you are having doubts it is probably best that you notify your surgeon as soon as possible, so that you may postpone it and be able to reconsider the decision. I'm sure your surgeon will understand your trepidation and try to help you arrive at a better decision. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Surgery or not

+1

It is purely up to you.If you are not happy with the way they look, with or withot pain it can probably be made better.  It is elective on your part and a personal decision.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implants

+1

If you are happy with the appearance, and not having pain, then you should not have surgery. If one implant is lower, but you are happy with everything else, then just have the capsule revised to make them match better, but keep the same implants. This will save you money.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision after Downward Shift of Implant

+1

If the two breasts are asymmetric and correction of the pocket can fix the problem, then this surgery may be appropriate to improve how the breasts look.  This is such a personal decision, and you should talk with your plastic surgeon.

Should I Have the Surgery or Not?

+1

If the implants are intact and you are satisfied with the look and feel, there is no reason to have surgery to change them. It is purely elective surgery for your pleasure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant surgery

+1

It is your choice to have your implants changed. If the shape is not desirable to you, then correcting the pocket and changing the implants is an option.