Who Are the Surgeons in the US That Are Willing and Experienced to Perform Extra Large Breast Augmentation?

I'm looking for surgeons who are comfortable with working with breast implants 550cc and larger on a small 5'1'' frame. Where can I find them?

Breast Implant Size

+1

550 cc is a size that most board certified plastic surgeons are comfortable going up to on the appropriate patient. A physical examination and exploration of your lifestyle, lifestage, and objectives will help you determine if this size is appropriate for you.

You need to be seen first

+1

550 is not that large --- you might be a candidate, but need to be seen first before a decision is made. Now if you are talking about larger than 800ccs --- that can be an issue.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Large(r) implants can be just fine, IF your anatomy allows.

+1

You are short, but if your breast and chest anatomy allows, large implants can give you the results you wish for, though your surgeon must be comfortable with using large implants.

Some surgeons refuse to accept that most women who have implants placed either above or (more commonly) below the muscle will have some degree of implant position drop over time. This is regardless of the implant size, but may indeed happen more readily with larger, heavier implants. Proper pocket creation must take this into account, or what looks great immediately post-operatively ends up looking terrible 4-6 months later when the implants "bottom out!" Surgeons who see this happen then "blame" the implant size and weight, rather than accepting that they created the pocket too low to start with. So, of course, the "solution" is to avoid using large implants whenever possible rather than admitting the error in judgement regarding pocket position was their own! Not always, but frequently enough to make this a common topic in on-line forums such as RealSelf.

I use large implants frequently, whenever the patient desires them, AND their anatomy allows. The Keller funnel allows placement of even larger implants via short incisions, and with truly no-touch technique. I have many Asian women with 550cc+ implants, as well as short-stature women of all races. For 3 examples of my patients with 550cc or higher implants (although they are all taller than 5'1"), click on the link below (cases 12, 24, and 31). Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant volumes

+1

Be careful what you wish for. Your chest wall may not handle such a large implant the first go round. An exam in person is key to determine this.

Large breast implants

+1
Size is relative in breast augmentation. Based on your breast width, shoulder morphology and height. After an examination you may very well be a good candidate for this size implant or even larger if your body allows. Do come in for a consultation an evaluation.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Large breast implants in a small frame

+1

The size, style and type of implant should be individualized to each patient. A large implant can be placed but if your tissues won't provide the best coverage then you results will suffer and you may be unhappy. Your best approach is to meet with a few board-certified plastic surgeons and listen to what they recommend for you after having the ability to examine you and take a set of measurements. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Extra large augmentation

+1
Augmentation is limited by chest width and skin/tissue coverage. The size to which your breasts could be augmented can only be determined at the time of consultation. There are risks in terms of implant extrusion and wound healing that increase exponentially with large implants. In some cases, I recommend a two stage approach or use of tissue expansion. In terms of qualifications, see a board certified plastic surgeon who operates at an accredited facility.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Extra Large Breast Augmentation

+1

If you are having a problem finding surgeons who will perform "extra large breast augmentation" this may be a message that this is generally not advisable.  There are definite limitations as to the appropriate size of a breast implant.  Size limitations depend on the size of your chest, the available implant sizes made by the manufacturers and the nature of your skin and breast tissue.  Very large implants will stretch your skin and thin your breast tissue.  While you may like the results initially you are placing yourself at risk for complications that may not be correctable in the future.  Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon about your goals but be reasonable about your expectations. 

Good luck

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Size limitations- Chest and Soft Tissue

+1

The size of an implant is often limited by the chest wall width.-  If the chest wall is too narrow it is difficult to place large volume implants--they have a tendency to meet in the middle or drift too far laterally...- however this has been partially addressed with the use of high profile implants that are narrower and stick out more. 

The second problem is the soft tissue coverage over the implants....if the breasts are small and do not have alot of soft tissue, the implants will thin the skin and the implants can look like fake "balls"  on the chest.

We have addressed this second  problem by the use of natural fat used in conjunction with implants, the so called "Bilamellar Breast Augmentation" -  By performing implants AND Fat, you get the projection of implants with the natural look and feel of fat-  The best of both worlds.  See the attached links.

Best Regards,

Dr Del vecchio

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD

Extra Large Breast Augmentation?

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to seek “larger” breast augmentation surgery. What can be accomplished will depend on the specific patient's  body type and safety concerns (avoidance of complications).  There is no specific directory that will point you to surgeons with experience performing “extra-large best augmentation”.

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I think you may find the attached link helpful.