Should the Surgeon Be Held Somewhat Responsible for Not Taking the Precautions to Protect the Implants?

My wife just had back surgery, they knew about her saline implants. The implants are over 10 yrs old. Home a few days from the hospital, noticed that one breast was starting to look and feel different; it had ruptured while she was on her stomach during surgery. Should precautions for her implants while being on her stomach for such a long period been taken? what can she do about it and is the Dr. somewhat responsible? She is already in tremendous pain, and now she has lost one breast implant.

Connection or coincidence

+1
Lying on the stomach is not the basis for an implant rupture. There is nothing for the plastic surgeon to be responsible for. This is purely a coincidence. Rupture in a 10 year old implant is a known risk. Your conclusion that it ruptured during the spinal surgery is unsubstantiated. Pain from the back surgery, while unfortunate, should not be a basis for pointing a finger at the surgeon.

Defaltion of saline implant after back surgery

+1

Frankly, I find your question disgusting.  Is all you can think about after your wife's back surgery is that her surgeon is somehow responsible for a deflation of her breast implant.  maybe you should be more grateful that he has relieved her back problem.  Get a life.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Ruptured saline implant after back surgery

+1

A ruptured saline implant can happen. Normal resting on one's stomach should not cause it to rupture.  Over time, they can rupture on their own.  Coincidence?  maybe.

Uncommon rupture

+1

Unfortunately despite padding and positioning implants can rupture. Implants do this because of either something sharp or long term creases rubbing together. This is a big reason why we rarely use saline any more. Silicone implants are solid gels and can't spill out. 10 years for saline implants is a common life span unfortunately. I'm sure if she has them replaced with silicone gel you will both be happy as they look and feel much more natural. Best of luck with her recovery.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Implant rupture during back surgery

+1

I tell all my patients that breast implants are mechanical devices and as such do not last forever. 10 yr old saline implants are not as strong as when first impalnted and as such may have been ready to fail anyway. Do not blame the surgeon. Just my opinion.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

10 Yr Old Implants and Deflation During Back Surgery

+1

The ability to perform the back surgery takes priority over the implants.  You should realize that only sharp items can rupture implants, unless the implant shell is already severely compromised.  10 year old saline implants may need a change under the best of circumstances.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA