What Do I Do if the Surgeon Accidentally Left Sutures in my Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had alarplasty 3 month ago. Today while looking in the mirror I discovered that the nurse had left 2 sutures on the sides of my nose. I'm really paranoid right now. They are not very visible at all, and skin has grown around it. My surgeon and I are in different countries, what should I do at this point? Is it even possible to remove the suture since they're so deeply graved in? Is it safe to just leave the sutures as it is?

Left sutures after rhinoplasty

+2

If the nurse left sutures, you might have to see your primary care doctor to get them out if you had your rhinoplasty in another country. If left they may be a source of irritation later on.

Suture After Rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for your question.  I would recommend that you make an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to look at these sutures.  Some sutures are left in on purpose and are designed to dissolve over time.  Some sutures are not intended to be left in and these should be removed.  I don't recommend that you remove them on your own and risk creating any additional problems.  Best wishes.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty sutures

+1

If there are retained sutures left behind from your 3 month old rhinoplasty surgery, you should probably have them removed by a Plastic Surgeon. Sometimes, removing these sutures can be tricky, especially if they are now buried under skin. It is probably not urgent, but occasionally retained foreign body suture material can lead to more noticeable scarring or infection.

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Sutures left in my nose 3 months after rhinoplasty

+1

I would try to find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area to examine your nose. The sutures that are exposed may be permanent sutures that are irritated causing a granuloma. On the other hand, they may be permanent sutures that were missed and need to be removed. They may also be dissolvable sutures that are taking longer than normal to dissolve. Regardless, I would have a rhinoplasty surgeon examine you to determine the best course of action.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Left over suture ?

+1

As said by Dr Howard - See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

But, before making the appointment - tell the doctors office about your problem - because some doctors will not see patients who were operated by some other surgeon.

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon